Never Shot IDPA....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chr_edw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never really shot IDPA or anything else really. Shot a USPSA match a couple of years ago but got rained out ofter a few stages.

What gear do I need ( holsters, ammo, clothing etc... ) . I have a g23 and 3 mags to start with. OOh yea do I have to be an IDPA member before coming out to shoot.

I finally have options to go to this kind of stuff on the weekends and would love to get started.

Thanks,
Chris

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Take your gun, 3 mags, strong side holster that covers the trigger, mag carrier for 2 of the mags if you have it, plus eye and ear protection, of course.
You can join IDPA through the club after you try it. What ever you would wear to conceal the gun in public. 2 or 3 boxes of ammo.

Toughest part is just showing up and shooting. After that, the fun sets in.

jmtgsx

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds simple enough. 150 rounds is enough ?

Yes.
Next match is this Saturday at Oil Capitol Rod & Gun Club. Be there by 9:30 for sign in, or you could come earlier and help with the set up. Many questions could be asked and answered in the labor before the match.:thanku:

chr_edw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes.
Next match is this Saturday at Oil Capitol Rod & Gun Club. Be there by 9:30 for sign in, or you could come earlier and help with the set up. Many questions could be asked and answered in the labor before the match.:thanku:

Would be glad to help. What time should I get there for set up.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
it is pretty fun. go slow at first and be careful. it took me a couple of matches before i felt comfortable with the rules. be sure to keep your muzzle pointed at the berm as in some stations you will be moving and doing other things where you need to think about your muzzle more than when you are shooting at the range.

i would suggest practice drawing from your holster and re-holstering. when re-holstering be sure that your muzzle does not point back across the center line of your body.

also you can simulate changing mags, lock your slide back, drop the mag in the gun and load a second one.

just take it slow. there are quite a few rules and procedures but they will go over them in detail before you shoot each stage so you will be pretty comfortable.

if you are not sure, ask the Safety Officer. All a bunch of great guys and very friendly and willing to help a new shooter.

jack's setups usually require abougt 100 - 120 rounds. he should post a note on this site this coming week telling you how many rounds next sat's match will need.

come out and try it, i think it is really fun and you learn a great deal about your gun and how to shoot it. you will have a blast.

Latest posts

Top Bottom