If you could do it over again…

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Buy two single stage presses and set them up next to each other. Put the sizing die in one, the seating/crimp die in the other. Put the powder measure in between them. Although you are not loading for speed, you will be surprised how efficiently this system works. You never actually put the case down from start to finish. You will only have to adjust your dies once.
YMMV
I did this for some time, before acquiring a Lee Classic Cast Turret press.

Two single-stage presses set up this way, with the powder measure in between, actually work quite well; assuming one has the room.

rocketman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I you REALLY want to keep it simple...go look at a "Classic Lee Loader". That is what I started with. My reloading gear grew from a tiny plastic box and mallet to an entire room of equipment. Yet, I can still take that Lee Loader and make the same quality (almost) ammo that I can on my Dillon XL650 (don't tell my wife).

https://leeprecision.com/classic-lee-loaders

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I still use my first press every time I make rifle rounds and some pistol rounds.
Lee Classic Cast iron single stage.
My Lee dies have not failed me either.
Same. My first press was the RCBS Special that outdated a lot of members here, but it sits next to the Hornady LnL progressive and gets used.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not anything to add.

I was taught to reload in 1975.
Bought a RCBS Rock Chucker kit in 1978.
Still using the same press.

I bought a Lee turret press in 2018. Got into CAS and thought I needed more speed.

Bought a Dillon 550 in 2019. A used press and too good a deal to pass on.

95% of my loading is done on the RCBS.

The only real upgrades I have made,
Bought a RCBS hand primer in 1983. 99.5% of priming is done with hand primer. Bought a 2nd RCBS hand prime in 2020, to have 1 set up small primer and 2nd as large primer, time saver.
Bought a Hornady digital scale in 2016.
Bought a RCBS Chargemaster in 2021.
Loading rifle cartridges, I do like the auto powder loading.

I don't think manufacturer makes a big difference. They are all quality. Search pawn shops, garage sales, estate sales and buy previously owned.

Latest posts

Top Bottom