Never thought of this until today…Is a fawn considered an anterless deer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I saw a recently harvested fawn in the back of a flatbed pickup today. In all my years, I’ve never once thought of taking a fawn. I don’t see anything in the regs about it so I assume it’s considered an anterless deer. Am I missing something? Is it legal to harvest one? I don’t see any point in taking a fawn.

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A friend in Oklahoma killed a fawn by accident, shooting a basket buck to eliminate him from the gene pool. Not realizing there was a doe in the brush with a fawn that was directly behind the buck. The bullet traveled through the buck and also hit and killed the fawn. This was when all deer had to be checked in at designated places. Game Warden was called, he was legal by having a buck and antlerless tag.

Probably would have never known he hit it, the brush was so thick. But doe wouldn't leave and kept running back to the fawn.

Last edited:

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For what it is worth, I read an article a few months ago about a guy who shoots a fawn every year on the same day. He weighs them and tracks to determine the herd health on his property. While I understand what he is studying, that would not be a popular activity at my house with my better half.

Latest posts

Top Bottom