Never thought of this until today…Is a fawn considered an anterless deer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was watching 8 deer at Lexington during bow season years ago.
Started out as 8 and by the end of 2 weeks it was down to 1 deer left and I assume all the others got
harvested.
It was a small deer and having a good time by itself running across the small clover field.

I have seen small deer all alone and they are curious and will walk right up to you.
Will it survive the winter with predators around that would like to eat it?

Yea i know the mother deer will leave the fawn alone sometimes.
If you see one alone for a few days walking around looking for a buddy you think it will survive.

I still would not want to kill it. I do not want to see if eaten alive either.
I’ve noticed the last couple years that I rarely see any fawns on camera in the summer, but I always have a bunch on camera in the fall. I’m wondering if the mothers keep them hid out most of the summer until they’re more capable of getting away from predators on their own.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had a buddy that preferred to shoot one.ate meat rarely and it was enough for him. So no waste. Years ago when there were few deer even seeing a fawn was something
I do remember when seeing a deer was a rarity. When my family bird hunted south of Jet in the 70’s and early 80’s, it was a big deal to see a deer. That was a long time ago though.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I saw a recently harvested fawn in the back of a flatbed pickup today. In all my years, I’ve never once thought of taking a fawn. I don’t see anything in the regs about it so I assume it’s considered an anterless deer. Am I missing something? Is it legal to harvest one? I don’t see any point in taking a fawn.
There ain’t no fawns During deer season, they are yearlings. They are super tasty smoked and I suggest you find the definition of “antlerless” in your hunting regs. It’s in there.
It used to be that any deer that didn’t possess at least one antler longer than 1.5” was antlerless

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There ain’t no fawns During deer season, they are yearlings. They are super tasty smoked and I suggest you find the definition of “antlerless” in your hunting regs. It’s in there.
It used to be that any deer that didn’t possess at least one antler longer than 1.5” was antlerless
3” above hairline.

tim003

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went deer hunting on Friday and saw 3 deers, I didn’t realize the first two deers come out to the field were fawns/ yearlings until the momma come out, and the distance was at about 200 yards. They did come closer to me at about 30 yards later, I was tempted to take the mature doe because I want to be one of “the hunters in the know, take a doe” Lol. I ended up didn’t take a shot and just sitting there enjoying the nature at its best.
C20F1481-7245-4BDC-9B40-74C024F3AF47.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom