New 1911: Shoot First or Clean First?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New 1911: Shoot First or Clean First?

• Shoot First!

Votes: 12 30.0%
  • Clean First!

Votes: 26 65.0%
  • Whatever. It's all good.

Votes: 2 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, you just got your mitts on a new 1911.

Are you a shoot first, then clean kinda guy or do you fall into the clean first then shoot category?

What do you 1911 guys prefer for cleaning/lubing your slab side

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Always clean out the barrel of a new gun, any gun. You have no idea what was the last bit of grit your gun was around before you picked it up.
Does not need a full DCOR just clean out the barrle, lube and break it in.
If you get a ftf on a full mag then drop a round and keep going. It may just be a tight spring in the mag--no big deal.
stovepipe on first mag--keep going and break in the extractor before you tear it all down looking for problems.

Chard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I purchased a new Springfield a couple years ago that had what appeared to be metal filings in the box. I clean it first before I shot it. Wilson on the other hand says it is ready to go right out of the case. There QC being much better. I also purchased (approx 2001) a new Ruger MKII 22LR pistol that had metal particles inside the action. I would consider cleaning any new firearm based on a case by case inspection.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've only ever purchased one new firearm that was ready to shoot out of the box, courtesy of Noveske. All others merely had anti-corrosion coatings that needed to be stripped and relubricated before firing. It's also a good time to look for anything the factory missed.

R

rda1911

Inspected a new Ruger 1911 today before putting it in the display. It was covered in what appears to be a light grease internally. I cleaned it before even offering it for sale to the public

cinco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Always clean out the barrel of a new gun, any gun. You have no idea what was the last bit of grit your gun was around before you picked it up.
Does not need a full DCOR just clean out the barrle, lube and break it in.
If you get a ftf on a full mag then drop a round and keep going. It may just be a tight spring in the mag--no big deal.
stovepipe on first mag--keep going and break in the extractor before you tear it all down looking for problems.

^ I agree. Never know what's lurking in there that could damage the gun or you. I will inspect, wipe down, run a patch, lube. I like to put 500+ first time out. I believe it helps to smooth/mate parts. So far so good.

Latest posts

Top Bottom