New Compact Pickups: Which One?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am well aware of where they are made my friend, they have been made in Texas for a while Tacoma’s and Tundra’s anyway. But Toyota was going to move some Tacoma production to Mexico last I heard. To be totally honest I preferred the 4Runner because they were built in Japan. I know , I know it’s unpopular opinion but I thing they do a better job of assembling the product there :).....but I think your point is that Toyota supports the US worker which is a very true statement. I think Toyota has the largest production in the U.S. but I am not sure I know Honda, Nissan, and Subaru all have significant production here.
I'm not sure about the last vehicles you mentioned either. I credit the miles I got from the 95 tacoma to being built in Japan. They had an assembly line that was like 200% quality control checked at every station where parts were put on. Honestly haven't heard about the move to Mexico. I'm thinking Trumps trade deal might have put that on the back burner? I don't know.
The taco's still have an impressive reputation for longevity of the engine and driveline.
My Tundra built in San Antonio has continued the zero maintenance issue with 87K miles now. Toyota's just run. They might not have the latest bells and whistles like the vehicle being a hotspot, or dozens of USB ports at every corner of the vehicle, but they are never seen on the side of the road with the hood up either. All the controls are in the same location year after year. Boring to some, but that proven design leads to reliability.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the last vehicles you mentioned either. I credit the miles I got from the 95 tacoma to being built in Japan. They had an assembly line that was like 200% quality control checked at every station where parts were put on. Honestly haven't heard about the move to Mexico. I'm thinking Trumps trade deal might have put that on the back burner? I don't know.
The taco's still have an impressive reputation for longevity of the engine and driveline.
My Tundra built in San Antonio has continued the zero maintenance issue with 87K miles now. Toyota's just run. They might not have the latest bells and whistles like the vehicle being a hotspot, or dozens of USB ports at every corner of the vehicle, but they are never seen on the side of the road with the hood up either. All the controls are in the same location year after year. Boring to some, but that proven design leads to reliability.
I agree the only complaints I have about Toyota , Tundra specifically would be terrible gas mileage and they don’t seem to care. My other ***** would be the lack of a diesel option. Put a little turbo diesel in a Tacoma and I will buy one instantly.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree the only complaints I have about Toyota , Tundra specifically would be terrible gas mileage and they don’t seem to care. My other ***** would be the lack of a diesel option. Put a little turbo diesel in a Tacoma and I will buy one instantly.

The Tacos in Europe have a little diesel in them that is fantastic I hear but can’t pass US epa tests.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Tacos in Europe have a little diesel in them that is fantastic I hear but can’t pass US epa tests.
There is actually a company here isn’t he US that will throw a Toyota diesel in your truck..... LOL it was like 25K or 30K or something like that ..... I would love one but not that much

BlackRifle

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I bought a new Ford Ranger from Bob Moore Ford in South OKC. I got the XLT model, mid-range as far as options. Chile Pepper Red, I dig the wheels. Truck handles well and with the Eco-Boost 2.3L engine, has plenty of get up and go. I'm pleased with it. The sales experience was very good too, thanks to a recommendation of a solid member here who has some clout in the industry. Now, I need to get a bed liner.
97848ce7068427d605e4616a5bcafac9.jpg

d95956cdbda604ebbe827321452e08b1.jpg

575f5bd433086e38671300a7bfcdf0d7.jpg
Nice ride Joel. I suggest a spray in bedliner.

j-black

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I moved away from full size trucks last summer and bought a 2017 Tacoma TRD Pro. I lucked out and found the long bed version. Haven't regretted it. Like it's been said earlier, it doesn't have every piece of tech that that Ranger, Colorado, Canyon, etc. have, but it's got more than enough for me since my last Truck was a 2008 and pretty much had nothing.
Everyone has there own tastes. To me the Tacoma had better cabin space and a better ride than the Z71 Colorado. The powertrain is somewhat lacking compared to the newer trucks but is also bullet proof. You won't win any races.
My biggest complaint, and one that makes me think a 4runner would have been better, is the low cabin roof line. Now I'm only 5'10 and I find it really tight when entering the truck.
Overall, I'm really happy with it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom