New Lee spline drive. Not impressed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay what in the name of Richard Lee is Lee Reloading thing these new spline drive nuts and bushings. The first thing you notice is they used a freaking Phillips head. Who the @#$@ thinks a Phillips head is okay in 2020? Then the wrench they provide is plastic. Seriously a plastic little tiny wrench. On top of that they are now smaller and made of aluminum vs the steel of the old ones. I always preferred the Lee Lock ring eliminators on the right in this photo. It has a larger hex bolt and was solid. These new ones just don't impress me at all. The tool is a joke. The Lee site shows how tiny it is by the way they hold it. Anyway if you have the older Lock Ring Eliminators you better hold onto them as they are no longer on their site. I am sure this is all in the name of saving money.

upload_2020-4-11_18-0-4.png

Lees advertisement. Like their holding a Hors d'oeuvre
90093-01.jpg

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are they trying to minimize the force used on the collar? That is my reasoning.
I reckon you get enough force on it. You instinctively want to push the tiny tool in from the side. You actually have to bring it down from the top into the slots. I just think its all about making something cheaper. Going to aluminum, making it smaller, that cheesy wrench but the cheap azz Philips head that is too much. I liked the old ones because they felt substantial. All the pieces on the new APP Swage are steel and the APP bottom shell holder is steel. The swage top and bottom even tells you to tighten with a wrench. So they choose to use steel when they know its necessary. I never been crazy about the aluminum Lee nuts with the o-ring either.

Last edited:

Archangel

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
You mean these old things?
View attachment 159346
How many do you need?
I don't suppose you have any left?
I store my dies in Plano 3-18 Waterproof Stowaways and the old style nut fit in the compartments perfectly, but the new spline drives lack that thinness at the flats and bulge the compartments.
I'd love to find someone who has a bunch of old nuts wanting to trade for the new ones, but if someone wanted to get rid of some, I'd take them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom