New Non-Rez Prices

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been discussed here already but mostly I want to know do you know of anyone not coming or changing their plans in some fashion due to the significant increase in non-rez tags?

I hunt family land west of Stillwater where I have sole control of the hunting on the places and typically have a friend join me for muzzleloader. However, this year it appears that I will be on my own as two of my non-resident friends have both told me they can't justify $710 for what essentially is a few days of hunting and one buck tag. I realize you get 4 or whatever does with it but from their perspective... (yes occasionally they shoot does, but we all know everyone spends the money for antlers)

I can't help but think the legislature, like government often does, did not consider the full consequences of the law before enacting it. Such a sharp increase is likely to be met with a sharp decrease of non-resident hunters which could potentially negatively affect many stakeholders.

Let me also say I believe an increase in licenses fees was absolutely due! However, such a drastic increase in one year could potentially upset the balance of economical factors that go into non-resident hunting.

I'm well aware this post may cause an absolute doo-doo storm so fire away. And please don't forget my original question! Any personal experience with a non-rez already telling Oklahoma "No Thanks!" ?

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Before we jump all over our legislature, two things to consider. These recommendations were made by the ODWC after they had a consultant studied and make recommendations based on the market. Then the new prices are inline with surrounding states. Why should Okies have to pay $$$$ to go to Kansas or Texas, etc. to hunt, yet Kansans and Texans can come here and pay $?

I have not independently researched other state prices but this is what the argument was for the price increases in some articles that I read.

Last edited:

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If a Okie was to go out of state to hunt, would they get to pay cheap prices with high qty tags?

No.

Its only fitting that Oklahoma match what other states charge and regulate out of staters.

If a resident of Oklahoma who would hunt and fish a lot had not purchased a lifetime combo before the rate increases, I hate to hear that.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Talking with my Iowa buddy we believe Oklahoma maybe the most expensive "whitetail state" in the way of license costs in the nation now.

From this standpoint: Single buck tag during gun season...we took that position as that is typically what a non-resident is coming for. Regardless of how many doe tags you give him that really doesn't factor into most out of state hunters decision. Furthermore, we did not include Rocky Mountain states as those states are in general mule deer states and the supply/demand for mule deer tags far exceeds whitetail tags and thus command a much higher price, years to draw, etc....

We have not been able to think of another one, but admittedly we haven't researched everyone either.

Some quick examples of other states that are known for quality whitetail bucks:

Iowa $650
Nebraska $365
South Dakota $300ish
Kansas $600ish
Missouri $300ish
Wisconsin $300ish
Texas $315
Illinois $400ish
Ohio $250ish

Obviously its not apples to apples as some of those states don't hold their gun seasons during the rut and often archery tags are hard to pull in those states as a non-resident.

I hear a bunch of talk about making it "average" with other states. Oklahoma tag costs is not average now, we are on the top of the pile or dang near it! If their goal was to decrease the number of non-residents by making the tags expensive, I believe they will accomplish that. Did the ODWC state as much? They may have and I never saw it.

I'm mostly just making observations here, as it doesn't directly affect my hunting. Furthermore I enjoy the discussions and input of ideas. I did not realize the ODWC had study conducted regarding the matter, that's interesting.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Isn’t the $710 cost for all harvest types in Oklahoma? So you buy a deer license and can basically hunt Oct 1 - January 15?

If that is the case, it seems to be a great buy to me.
No you still have to buy a deer license for each season. So to hunt all three seasons as a non-resident it would cost you a little over $1700

Latest posts

Top Bottom