New Revolver Owner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penywisexx

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a lot of experience with semi-automatics and rifles, but have been wanting a wheelgun for awhile. I decided to order a couple of cheap revolvers in case they aren't my thing. I've ordered a Rock Island Armory M200 and a Heritage Rough Rider (9 round 22lr and magnum). I should get the guns on Thursday if I am not delayed (50/50 chance). I have about 10k rounds of 22lr for the Heritage and picked up a box of 50 38 Specials for the M200 as well as some snap caps for it and plan on hitting the range this weekend to try them out.

I usually field strip, clean and lube new firearms before using them and wanted to know what is involved with a revolver as well as any tips for maintenance and care of them. If I like them enough I'll be adding more to my collection.

On a side note I've also ordered a Canik TP9SF Elite to use as my EDC.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMHO, the flaw to your plan is what you bought. Since you have already ordered them, see if you can find someone or go to a range and fire different revolvers. There is a WORLD of difference between a S&W and a Rock Island. The RI has a 6ton trigger pull, ruff and gritty. The Smith baby butt smooth. Same with let's say a Ruger Single Six compared to a Rough Rider. Went the long way around the barn to say this..Don't let these 2 revolvers you bought decide your opinion on what revolvers are like.

CharlieWH2O

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMHO, the flaw to your plan is what you bought. Since you have already ordered them, see if you can find someone or go to a range and fire different revolvers. There is a WORLD of difference between a S&W and a Rock Island. The RI has a 6ton trigger pull, ruff and gritty. The Smith baby butt smooth. Same with let's say a Ruger Single Six compared to a Rough Rider. Went the long way around the barn to say this..Don't let these 2 revolvers you bought decide your opinion on what revolvers are like.

This X100.

Penywisexx

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The heritage seems like a fun little $100 plinker that's well reviewed on most gun channels (and is owned by several friends), that's the reason I purchased that one. The M200 also has good reviews but may need a trigger job (I can do that myself), I wanted to try out a cheap double action gun that will more than likely end up in my wife's bedside safe. When times are better for me I'll be looking into more high end double action revolvers.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FWIW, I've seen a some pretty nice used S&W revolvers floating around from LE turn ins or whatever.... just food for thought when you want to spend a little more and like them.

But yeah, Jimmy is spot on.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
The heritage seems like a fun little $100 plinker that's well reviewed on most gun channels (and is owned by several friends), that's the reason I purchased that one. The M200 also has good reviews but may need a trigger job (I can do that myself), I wanted to try out a cheap double action gun that will more than likely end up in my wife's bedside safe. When times are better for me I'll be looking into more high end double action revolvers.

My wife got tired of me "looking" for a 38 special for her so she bought the M206. After a crash coarse in revolvers and a few trips to the range I have worked out the issues on the pistol. Put a 9 lb hammer spring in it and had to file down the hammer where it hits the flat to get it reliable. Was getting lite hammer strikes. Spring was prolly not needed as it turned out the hammer being out of spec and not allowing the hammer to fall fully forward on the bar to engage the firing pin. Cleaned and polished the trigger parts that were obviously rough but did not take much to get rid of the gritty trigger. Trigger is heavy in DA but my wife does not know any better.

Pistol is accurate, reliable now and she is happy with it, I will buy a better pistol for her whenever I run across something and make a truck gun out of this one!!

Penywisexx

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
we can clearly see that from your avatar. Is that a hipoint carbine and a palmetto state AR?
I've never had a hipoint, I have a Ruger AR556, a BCM based rifle that I built and an Aero Precision rifle that I built in the photo. I have built around 40 semiautomatic, toggle and bolt action rifles. I spent about a year in the armory repairing rifles after being hit by an IED and waiting for my discharge to go through.

Latest posts

Top Bottom