new scope on a marlin 336

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owu1bag5

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i have a marlin 336 that i just put a new scope on. i put a burris fullfield II 3X9X40 on it. i took it out to banner range today to sight it in, i asked Harry to bore sight it for me, and he tried but said that there was no adjustment left and it was still around 5 inches from being close. last year i had a cheapy simmons scope on it and it was dead on. i used the same weaver bases that i had on it with the simmons and bought new rings for the new scope. any suggestions for what may cause this? i flipped the rear base around to see if that would do anything different and it did not. any help would be appreciated. thanks.

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it's a brand new scope, I'd take it back and get a new one - scope could be bad. Your rings might be made wrong too. If you've still got your old simmons, I'd put it in the new rings and see where it shoots. Good luck!

owu1bag5

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
tonight i went to Academy with a friend of mine who works there. i put a new base, new rings, and bore sighted my rifle while i was there. The problem was definitely the rings or the base. i got it bore sighted, went to H&H, shot 1 shot and it was 3" left and a hair high, adjusted the scope to the right, shot again and i was almost perfect, adjusted a little more and it was right where i wanted to be. shot a few more shots just to make sure it was good to go.

lesson learned, do not buy cheap bases and rings. this time i went with Leupold rings and base, worth the little extra money.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do not be ashamed to scope a lever gun. its the latest craze.
ai258.photobucket.com_albums_hh272_dblystone_OTASCO_203080_DSC_0020.jpg

Its amazing what a headache skimping on some simple pieces of metal can do to performance.

owu1bag5

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i am not ashamed in the least, i hunted with open sites for the first 10 years that i hunted, when i got my first rifle with a scope i decided that open sites were for the birds.

Latest posts

Top Bottom