New Shotgun for Daughter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know you said O/U, but could she use something like a Rem 1100 light 20?
low recoil with the gas action.

Lots of O/u's on the market, but a lot of them are pretty heavy until you get into the higher market like Browning. My Citori is 6.7 pounds empty. Some of the Stoegers, and others run another pound or so.

Milezc9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started off with a remington 870 20 gauge when I was about 5' tall and it was a great gun for my size. It's short and very lightweight and hardly any recoil. I know its not over under but you should check it out.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Take a look at the Ruger Red Label in 28 ga. Kicks like a .410, shoots like a 20. They aren't cheap, but if you will get a Mec Sizemaster reloader and use Federal Gold medal or Remington cases, she can shoot it economically.

I have known skeet shooters of National rank who shoot all the events (except the .410 of course) with a 28. Shot string and pattern are superior to all others, and the round is great for dove, and quail. There used to be a one ounce Winchester load that was fine on pheasants. I hunted ducks over decoys with a 28 until steel became a requirement.

Any quality o/u 28 should be okay. It's a starter gun that will stay with her all her life. Don't know her size, but a good wood person can shorten/lengthen the stock to the necessary extent. CB

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just bought a Franchi 20ga o/u. You might check out their line, their known for being light weight.

Franchis are very light, but I have seen several die on the skeet field from lots of shooting. They are great for dove and quali, but their lightness adds a surprising amount of recoil unless they have whipped the problem in the past few years.

An acquaintance of mine shot a duck with a 12 ga Franchi. The shot was directly overhead and he had ounce and a half 2 3/4 inch mag loads. He broke either his collar bone or his scapula, I forget which. Killed the heck out of the duck.

For the little girl, the Franchi 28 would be better. They are sweet, but I don't know how durable they are. CB

Latest posts

Top Bottom