New to Goose Hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankos72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a kid, dove is the only hunting I ever did with my Dad so anything else is new. So, every year when I go dove hunting(3 of the last 4) the geese are flying low in formation right over where we are hunting dove. So after working so hard to get a couple bites of meat per dove, I'm considering hunting a bigger bird. I have a few questions.

1. What is the likely hood that those geese will still be flying over the same spot come goose season?

2. Is it okay to shoot when they are in tight formation? They are about 50-60 ft overhead and I'm just imagining killing one and wounding one or two more.

3. Is it even okay to hunt geese in a dry field or do I have to be by the water?

Thanks for the advice.

Hondafire

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, with the question of "will they still be there?", the resident goose season is just around the corner. As far as hunting dry fields,...that is where I do 90% of my goose hunts. And shooting in tight formation, some may have a different opinion, but I say shoot. If you are shooting good shells for large waterfowl, your pattern isnt going to be that big anyways. You will find out after you draw down on them once, they will be extremely smarter next time.......having said that, don't under estimate them.

Oh, and goose hunting is like that "name brand" potato chip.......Once you pop----you can't stop. So be prepared to be addicted

frankos72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks guys, wish I had checked back sooner. I just learned about the Resident season last night and I wasn't ready to hunt today cause I thought I had a couple more weeks to get my stamps. DOH! Anyway, maybe tomorrow if I can find the stock to my 12 guage. (It normally dresses as a home defense gun with a shorter barrel and pistol grip.)

usmc1986

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a kid, dove is the only hunting I ever did with my Dad so anything else is new. So, every year when I go dove hunting(3 of the last 4) the geese are flying low in formation right over where we are hunting dove. So after working so hard to get a couple bites of meat per dove, I'm considering hunting a bigger bird. I have a few questions.

1. What is the likely hood that those geese will still be flying over the same spot come goose season?

2. Is it okay to shoot when they are in tight formation? They are about 50-60 ft overhead and I'm just imagining killing one and wounding one or two more.

3. Is it even okay to hunt geese in a dry field or do I have to be by the water?

Thanks for the advice.

1. It's possible. Think about why they are flying there for a more likely answer. They'll fly off of a body of water to go feed twice a day (morning/afternoon evening), wheat, grains, peanuts, corn etc. The feeding spot is where you want to be. Like with any other game animal they will eventually associate that area with getting shot and will avoid that area of the field or the field entirely and feed on an adjoining piece of property or a few fence lines over.

2. 60 ft is pretty close (20 yds) the issue is the flying speed and your lead time. Geese are tough, and I try for headshots whenever possible to just drop em. If you can't get a head shot and don't break their wings their going to keep flying and die somewhere further away most of the time. The easier way would be to decoy and call them in, the easiest way to get hits when they lockup on your dekes and drop in. However, decoy's get expensive to have a good spread.

3. I sort of answered this in part 1. A dry field with no food won't work well, unless you're hiding along a fenceline and the adjoining property has some crops, you MIGHT be able to get a few shots if you position yourself in their approaching route to drop into that crop field to feed. You'll need some luck without decoys ("dekes"). Scouting before hand well out of their direct sight the morning or evening prior to hunting can help you here.

Just remember once you start shooting all heck is going to break loose and geese won't hang around to determine where the shots are coming from they're going to get up, and you might get a shot as they fly over you as they attempt to leave - again somewhat luck.

The key to landing and taking off is they like to face into the wind for both. The wind helps them hang and drop into a specific spot in the field. It also helps them lift-off more quickly. Know the wind direction in your hunting location before you go out and plan your setup accordingly.

Last general rule of thumb: Even if you're using decoys and you have several guys calling if the live geese pass your field and land enmasse in an adjoining field out of your shooting range, you're screwed other than low flying passover birds approaching to land with that group. You cannot compete with the real deal no matter how many folks you have calling or how many shells you have in your field. You need to get someone to push those birds out of that field, get them in the air and hope you can take a few passers by or have them land closer to you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom