New vehicle plate anti-photography device to fight back against speed cameras

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I read the law in question and don't think this would violate it. I'm sure it would still be visible to someone looking at the plate even as the flash went off.

I despise traffic light cameras. Just another tool of Big Brother to keep tabs on its subjects.

My question. If I know what little I know about the law correctly, a violation of a tollgate is a misdemeanor. By law, doesn't a misdemeanor violation have to be witnessed and the citation signed by an "Officer" before it can be charged? Is the person at the computer an "officer" or just another computer monkey capturing the shots?

I have never had any dealing with any of these and have wondered. My GF's sister got one in Edmond citing her for a car with an expired tag on a car she had sold six months earlier.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Picture in the video was shot at shutter speed of 48 I believe. I'd like to see the degradation of effectiveness as shutter speeds increase.

At 70mph a car would have covered over two feet of ground while the shutter was open.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Picture in the video was shot at shutter speed of 48 I believe. I'd like to see the degradation of effectiveness as shutter speeds increase.

At 70mph a car would have covered over two feet of ground while the shutter was open.

Didn't they do an episode on Mythbusters about trying to beat a speed camera? They were using a high end sports car and went through the sensors at 200 mph and were still able to read the tag number.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Didn't they do an episode on Mythbusters about trying to beat a speed camera? They were using a high end sports car and went through the sensors at 200 mph and were still able to read the tag number.

Right, so the point is, the shutter speed on the cameras is a lot faster than 1/48. If it's faster shutter speed, then this flash device will be too slow.

cmhbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My whole beef with camera enforcement has been that in most places, it's a civil violation rather than criminal, so you can amass multiple violations without any increased penalties. That's how most places get around the witnessing requirement, by the way. It's not criminal, so a sworn officer doesn't have to see the violation.

But back to my beef: if you get three red light violations, each observed and cited by an officer, you'll accrue points on your license, and eventually get your DL suspended. But with civil violations, that doesn't happen, so the increased penalties taht are supposed to kick in, don't. That tells me this is more of a revenue generator than an actual effort to change or correct illegal driving habits.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Why not just slow down and obey the traffic laws? We have enough idiots that think the law doesn't apply to them now.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
But back to my beef: if you get three red light violations, each observed and cited by an officer, you'll accrue points on your license, and eventually get your DL suspended. But with civil violations, that doesn't happen, so the increased penalties taht are supposed to kick in, don't. That tells me this is more of a revenue generator than an actual effort to change or correct illegal driving habits.

Using reason and logic on an Internet forum = negative Internet points!!! :igetit:

As noted by a previous poster, this wins the award and the thread can now be closed...

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought I have read somewhere that when these red light cameras go in, there is an increase in accidents. Maybe people slamming their brakes to avoid a fine and causing an accident. IDK about speed cameras. Never seen one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom