Newb to Long Range Shooting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ODglock27

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome guys!!

As for the homework, yes I always do weeks/months of research before I spend any large amount of money. I know i haven't built an extreme long range rig, but i'm fairly sure I can get out too 1000 yrds when i'm ready for that distance of shooting. :)

As for the mils and MOA, I have been doing quite a bit of reading and video watching on these as well. I have even created my own quick reference charts for MOA adjustment for bullet drop at particular yrds. I've also created one that tells me how to range and item/thing using my Mil-dots on the scope from 5" to 9' in size.

I was looking into OKCGN for their range since they seem to have to longest close to me. Im not sure I want to get into the competetiveness just yet. I am hopeing I will just be able to use thier range when needed.

I can't wait for this rifle to get in. :)

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome guys!!

As for the homework, yes I always do weeks/months of research before I spend any large amount of money. I know i haven't built an extreme long range rig, but i'm fairly sure I can get out too 1000 yrds when i'm ready for that distance of shooting. :)

As for the mils and MOA, I have been doing quite a bit of reading and video watching on these as well. I have even created my own quick reference charts for MOA adjustment for bullet drop at particular yrds. I've also created one that tells me how to range and item/thing using my Mil-dots on the scope from 5" to 9' in size.

I was looking into OKCGN for their range since they seem to have to longest close to me. Im not sure I want to get into the competetiveness just yet. I am hopeing I will just be able to use thier range when needed.

I can't wait for this rifle to get in. :)

Cheat Sheets for Range-finding are good, but Doping your rifle for drop/windage will vary enough in different weather/conditions (especially in OK where it can be 90 degrees with 100% humidity one day, and 40 with 35% the next) that you'll want to get out and actually dope the rifle/ammo combination in person. Even with sites like Jbmballistics.com will only get you fairly close (there are a couple of smartphone apps out there - Shooter is a proven classic, but there's another newer one that escapes me off-hand).

I used to think all I needed were the computer-generated charts, but I've finally given in to the concept that real-life doping can get you way more accurate data.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
shooting those all at the same time under basically the same conditions seems like overkill.

Even at 600 it's ALL about the wind ... and wind changes ALL the time: you can catch a string of 3-4 shots, but basically every shot is different.

Im not sure I want to get into the competetiveness just yet. I am hopeing I will just be able to use thier range when needed.

You don't have to "win" to enjoy the match ... $20 is a cheap fee to have someone pull your targets if you want to look at that way.

ODglock27

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cheat Sheets for Range-finding are good, but Doping your rifle for drop/windage will vary enough in different weather/conditions (especially in OK where it can be 90 degrees with 100% humidity one day, and 40 with 35% the next) that you'll want to get out and actually dope the rifle/ammo combination in person. Even with sites like Jbmballistics.com will only get you fairly close (there are a couple of smartphone apps out there - Shooter is a proven classic, but there's another newer one that escapes me off-hand).

I used to think all I needed were the computer-generated charts, but I've finally given in to the concept that real-life doping can get you way more accurate data.

I completely agree with this. I just created these reference sheets to basically learn MOA and MIL a little better by writing my own formulas to create the sheets.

I know it's basically a crap shoot shooting here in OK with the wind and humidity... I have been learning about using the scope mirage to est the wind speeds and such though.
Even at 600 it's ALL about the wind ... and wind changes ALL the time: you can catch a string of 3-4 shots, but basically every shot is different.

You don't have to "win" to enjoy the match ... $20 is a cheap fee to have someone pull your targets if you want to look at that way.

This is a good way to put it. Wish the ammo was included though... :)

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks good sir! Looks like the end is threaded. I see a can in your future, ha. You will have to let us know how it shoots when you get a chance to go out with her.

Swapwap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a long range .308 on order and look to get into some shooting when I get it as well. Can't wait to join ya

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Latest posts

Top Bottom