Newb to Long Range Shooting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The best advice I can give you is learn the fundamentals of marksmanship well. Learn to call your shot. Do a lot of shooting, and WRITE EVERYTHING DOWN. All the weather conditions, your load, every sight adjustment you made, and the results. You can get in the ballpark with a ballistics program, but nothing works as well as the data from your own rifle and ammo.

Appleseed isn't centered around long range precision, but we will drill a lot of fundamentals into you that will help, like trigger discipline, all the steps to a well-executed shot (including calling the shot), and we will teach you all about using the sling as a marksmanship aid. Sure you generally try to use a bipod or solid support when you can with LRP, but the shooting sling is a good trick to have up your sleeve too. We teach the elements of solid sling supported positions, but you can easily apply that to supported positions if you are halfway clever. It is an excellent course on fundamentals, and it is very affordable at $80 for a weekend. Most of it is shot from 25m on reduced size targets, so you can even use a .22 if you want. To score Expert on our Army Qual Test and get our Rifleman's patch, you basically have to be able to shoot to a 4 MOA standard at 25m (or out to 400 yds. When we do the full distance COF). If you are going to have a hope of being proficient out to 1000, it is a very good place to start.

Mechanicalmehem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Badlands is truly awesome, after going to one of Bobby's classes then you are family and have many options open to you... If you can't find ammo he will usually find some for you for the class... I can't rcomend Badlands any stronger than just simply saying go, it is worth the money, after you take a class you can sit through it again at any time for free... If you struggle with something they will get you straightened out, I your rifl/scope take a dump they have provided a loaner so you can complete the class...
--Mech

Latest posts

Top Bottom