News9 Story about Mountain Lion in Shawnee.........

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Was on at 6pm...................can't find it on their website or anywhere else. They had several pictures of it, good pics..............of a bobcat. Hand shake and a big hug for anyone who can find the video or article......I can't.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hard to see the tail in those photos, but the story refers to a cat with a 20-inch tail. Unless there is more than one kind of bobcat, I'd say the tail was too long for that species. On the other hand, how can they tell it was 20 inches long?

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is a bobcat from what I can tell of the pic. The body cross section is very large compared to the overall length. Not long and slender like a lion.

PS. Very dissapointed that it is not black.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Having been in way too close proximity of both bobcats and mountain lions, I can say with 100% certainty... You will never confuse the two in real life. Without anything to reference body size in that picture I would say just from the picture that's a bobcat. The lady says it had a twenty inch tail (I'm sure she was estimating) so obviously this picture and the cat being discussed are two different critters.

I've had a pair of bobcats come up and start alternating between playing and staring at me while I was sitting on a log while deer hunting. The bobcats were about 12-15 feet away, close enough to be on me fast but they never acted aggressive at all and after about twenty minutes of that they scampered off. I was cautious and ready to fight if they came at me but I wasn't terrified.

On the other hand I had a mountain lion come up within the same approximate distance right at twilight when I was waiting until last official light. I was standing next to a tree with my bow and I heard something walking up the draw. I thought it was a deer but I just about wet myself when the big cat walked slowly by. The tail seemed really long and the experience was way different than the bobcats, this cougar just about paralyzed me in fear. There were always the occasional story of folks saying they saw one but nobody really believed them, including me, until that day.

That's why I say it's really hard to confuse one for the other. Way different in size with bobcats being just a little bigger than a big housecat and the cougar being the size of a big dog, cougar has a long tail while bobcat obviously has almost no tail and the coloring is completely different. I suspect someone in this story saw a cougar and someone else, thinking they were seeing the same thing, saw the bobcat and took pictures of it.

I had friends at one time that kept cougars as pets. They had big pens outside but they would also let the female, an adult cougar, roam the house! I was sitting on the sofa and didn't know the cat was in the house. I'd never been there before when they weren't in their pen so when that giant cat walked up to me and started staring at me I was ready to have a heart attack LOL. They said as long as I didn't make any fast moves or act aggressive the cat wouldn't hurt me. I asked if I should pet it and the owner said "that would probably be a bad idea since she's not comfortable with you yet". I said "I'm not comfortable with her either so we're on the same page here". He laughed and the cougar eventually decided I was ok and rubbed my leg and walked away. That was intense.

mtnboomer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Midwest City (usually)/Eufaula (when possible)
There have ALWAYS been mountain lions up and down the Deep Fork River area. I grew up in Davenport, just a mile from the Deep Fork overflow and I have heard those cats scream all my life. My father grew up in Chandler fishing and trapping along the river and he told me he can't remember a time he didn't find tracks or hear screams. My sister lived in Sparks years ago and was driving through the bottom along the river one night and a black mountain lion walked right out in front of her. Old news.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Saw that, too. Yep, it's a bobcat. I e-mailed them during their 6 o'clock broadcast and told them so. Let's see if they run it again at 10:00!

Latest posts

Top Bottom