Nimrod Almost Blows His Own Brains Out With .500 S & W Magnum-video

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikieG7174

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If you listen closely, there are two distinct gunshot sounds. One from his gun then a different one sounds like its coming from the left. And then the second sound repeats again moments after.
I believe he shot once then someone else shot a second after, then again a few seconds after.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I've been taught not to release the trigger until after I have complete control of the firearm. Even with rapid fire. Don't do double taps, triple taps, etc. with a gun you don't know how it reacts and/or can control during the sequence, and don't release the trigger until you are sure you have complete control after the sequence. :cannon:

Select fire/fully automatic is another matter. Haven't been there and done that yet. :fullauto:

Woody

That's exactly what causes this. The shooter pulls trigger, recoil is strong enough that it literally allows the gun to move far enough back in the hand that the trigger resets, then your mind, which still thinks "I have the trigger all the way back" catches up and pulls the trigger back again. However since you didn't intentionally release the trigger, you think you only pulled once. So, if you want to pull a stunt (one hand shooting) with a powerful handgun cartridge, load only one the first couple times.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's exactly what causes this. The shooter pulls trigger, recoil is strong enough that it literally allows the gun to move far enough back in the hand that the trigger resets, then your mind, which still thinks "I have the trigger all the way back" catches up and pulls the trigger back again. However since you didn't intentionally release the trigger, you think you only pulled once. So, if you want to pull a stunt (one hand shooting) with a powerful handgun cartridge, load only one the first couple times.

What you say makes sense, especially with such a powerful handgun. It this instance, the gun was nearly ripped from his hand by the recoil and it would be a tossup whether the second firing was a result of a reflex or as you say as a result of the gun moving in his grip. I did notice that the first shot was single action which would have led to only light pressure necessary on the trigger which would have easily allowed the trigger to reset under recoil and the reflexive 'grasp' to maintain control of the gun to pull the trigger dual action. We may both be right. If his first shot was dual action, it is possible his grip and force necessary to pull the trigger dual action might have been enough to prevent the trigger from resetting and result in the second firing.

Let us hope there was a lesson learned. Next time he might not be so lucky.

So, yes, start with only one round the first few times until you become familiar with such a hand cannon. Good advice.

Woody

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I've shot one. They're a hoot. I loaded all 5 and no problems, however I did hold on with both hands, and I have no problems with my wrists. That was almost a dozen years ago.

This issue has been noted on the interwebs since the .500 S&W came out. I'm sure this isn't the beginning of it, just when it became mainstream.

The .500 has a weird recoil with that comp on the muzzle. It pushes back first then it recoils up. Unlike any other revolver I've shot. Even warm .44 mags in a single action Blackhawk didn't do that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom