Nissan shop/mechanic recommendations? Pref. Mid/Del area

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So the turbo in my wife's 2011 Nissan Juke died (nut holding impeller seems to have spun off - nut was laying in the air duct, and it was definitely bound). The dealership in Edmond (that we have no faith in due to other service issues, like brake pad and tread thickness increasing over time on their multi-point inspections, and being unable to reproduce or fix multiple electronic issues) wanted much more than retail for a replacement turbo plus labor which totaled out to more than the Blue Book value. Could have bought a new engine - oil pan to air cleaner - and had it shipped for that total...

So I ordered a new turbo from Nissan and installed it. Followed the service manual. Double and triple checked every connection. Made sure to prime the turbo and oil lines before installation. Replaced all fluids. Even let it run a while to burp the coolant system and circulate oil. Took it for a drive, and no boost a highway speeds. Sounds and feels like it operates in N/1/2/3, but zero boost in 4/5/6.

Right now it's sitting at my father-in-law's workplace in Del City near Fenton East. I would consider taking it there if there are good recommendations, even if it was to work out an as-is trade. But I'm definitely open to and would prefer an independent shop, even if all they wanted to do was diagnose and say "here's what's fubar" (I know I hate working on stuff the customer has already worked on).

cowzrul

Distinguished 1998
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Midwest City would be MoBoost? Believe his shop is below OnCue at 29th & Douglas. Don't know if he does anything besides performance stuff though.

I know its in Norman and not Mid-Del but doesn't Chris Anderson own (or manage) an Import shop in Norman?

1911Sooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have 3 Nissan's and the all go to Fenton Nissan West for Service. Chris is the service advisor there and they do a great job. Can't speak for the East location though. We had a Juke and it was running fine at 50,000 miles. It was a 2011 and one of the first one in OKC. I got a recall letter saying the timing chain could go at any time due to a manufacturing defect. Took it in and it was the first one they ever did. It was a big job and they had the car 2 days but gave me a free loaner. Once I picked it up and drove it home the next morning I found it leaking fluid in my garage. So I took it back up there and they had to redo the whole thing because the gasket was leaking. Picked it up 2 days later and the damn turbo went out on the way home and took out a cylinder.

It needed a new engine at this point. No engines were available in the US and it was going to be a month before it was fixed. Fenton bought the car back from me and put me in a brand new Murano cheap. I also have a Maxima and Altima Coupe and have had cvt fluids and stuff changed there and do good work for a fair price. Anyways that's my take on it.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From what I have read there was a recall on the lines running from the turbo to the intake. Something to do with the boost sensor mounting being a bad design and them breaking off.

The turbo also seems to be of a poor design, lots of stuff popping up about cars having bearings go out after 60K miles. Too bad you already bought a factory replacement.

Any codes or did they already get cleared?

These may help figure it out though.

www.jukeforums.com_forum_attachments_nissan_juke_engine_discusf1e5fce7d21576481a8b2a56b5c34532.jpg

www.jukeforums.com_forum_attachments_nissan_juke_engine_discusdeec7297e3e22be569d0b35080396f40.jpg

At least wouldn't hurt to look.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep, went through those procedures. P2263 is the only code that gets thrown. It was the code that was thrown prior to taking it to the dealer, and it was thrown again after the repair and by the time I had driven from SE 15th and Grand (where the car is right now) to SE 29th and Air Depot (obviously premature celebratory dinner).

The turbo had previously been replaced under the recall. The car was bought certified pre-owned with ~9K miles on it. Since then it was also serviced under the timing chain recall as well as multiple times under the fuel system recall (first couple of times the fuel system recall service was performed the odor of fuel in the cabin got progressively worse). The turbo I put on is two more revisions later and the final revision for that model year.

Because of the other electronic issues (random failures to shut off, failures to lock unless car is restarted and shut off again, etc. that the dealer has been unable to diagnose/reproduce), the goal has been to get it running right and trade it off, thus why I went with a factory replacement rather than going aftermarket.

By the way, a code reader was one of the greatest tools I ever bought...

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like it has been pretty much a lemon. So much for "certified" cars huh.

I agree on the code reader. I don't have a full blown one but a cheap bluetooth ELM327 with a smartphone does a good job and I get a trip computer on top of it all. Have a el cheapo tablet that doesn't even have bluetooth that I at some point intend to mount in some way and pair with a wifi ELM327.

I have used mine for other people as well, it's always hooked up to my pickup so when I see a breakdown and ask if the check engine has been on I grab it and pull codes. Then I can look up what it means and generally points to directly from the phone while I am standing there.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was at Bob Howard Nissan yesterday getting a warranty air bag replaced. Hope to God I never have to find out if they fixed it right, but I did fix their TV in the waiting room that had been out for a week.
Lady called today to ask if my trip to their service was OK, and mentioned the TV thing was appreciated by the dealership.
Didn't offer to pay me for it though.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
LOL, I frequent dealerships to get quotes for parts that I am filing a claim on and that is about it. Most of the time I end up jaw jacking with the guys in the service department. Then after I get the quote I go online and get the stuff for a whole lot less than they would charge for it and there are quite a few times that includes dealer parts from a third party.

I will say this though, sensors are one of the few things I will generally pick up that are made by the OEM. Replaced a camshaft position sensor that was a cheapo. Replaced it twice under warranty and it was still acting up, bought the Mopar one for almost the same cost as the cheapo off of Amazon and never had a problem since.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have 3 Nissan's and the all go to Fenton Nissan West for Service. Chris is the service advisor there and they do a great job. Can't speak for the East location though.

Thanks for the recommendation. We ended up going to the East location because I did not want to drive a car with a potential issue too far.

Turns out it was a defective turbo. Just got the call that they will cover this one under the warranty.

Latest posts

Top Bottom