No, this is NOT good

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hooker

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I injured my shoulder 8 years ago, while practicing with my recurve . It took a long time to heal and is not 100 %. I still shoot my compound well but my recurve and longbow shooting has not been the same since the injury.

Pat

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that Hooker; thanks everyone.

But I got right back on the horse yesterday. I have one bow I was able to come out 5 full turns on, and I think it's a 50 lbs or thereabouts (I had thought this new backup bow I bought was also a 60-70, but got to looking and luckily it's only a 50-60!) - I pulled it back several times without a problem. So, since it didn't reinjure in it's injured/weakened state, I think that with some recovery time and staying around 50, this will work out pretty confidently, particularly with a brace/orthotic of some type! :) And be plenty of power to take deer - thanks Dennis. But then what am I gonna do with my 65-75 bow? :( Maybe after a surgery I'll be able to use it too.......

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
you can usually get new lighter cams for a heavy bow.
and a mild pt regimen with some resistance bands or light dumbbells might help strengthen the stabilizing muscles in your shoulder.
I have a bad shoulder too. I make every draw with my 55# recurve a slow controlled one.

Matt N.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with olyeller. The more time a joint dislocates the easier it dislocates in the future. Weight training can strengthen the muscles supporting the joint and reduce the incident rate of future dislocations. Of course that is not going to happen by Oct. 1 2009, but can by 2010. A physical therapist in the sports medicine field may be the optimal professional to prescribe a training program and teach proper form.

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 on the strength training/having a therapist look at it. Also, spend a lot of time with the lighter bow focusing on your draw, i.e. using your back muscles. When I was shooting my compound, I always had trouble picking my arm up and rotating my shoulder as I drew which would have caused major problems down the road.

Latest posts

Top Bottom