North of Lake Thunderbird...PUBLIC LAND?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okieshooter777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
South of 149th Street But North of lake thunderbird, i have always thought there was public land in this area? Is there?

I was looking at the wildlifedepartment site and it does not show it as WMA, but only as thunderbird SP? Is there public land in there somewhere?

The website is not working when you click on the thunderbird section

Davs2601

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont have my map handy right now, but I do believe that that area is public hunting land. When you stop out at the main office to get your parking pass they will give you a map of the areas. THe office is on Alameda past the bridge. I scanned my map and can email it to you later this evening. Ill be home about 8:30 so shoot me a pm and Ill forward it on to you.

TulsaMAE

Marksman
Reaction score
I hunted dirty bird for a few years when I lived in norman, that is what got me really interested in bow hunting. I only had to drive 10 min to hunt. I never did pull anything out of there though. So when did they make you start getting a parking pass? Or have they always done that and I was just to stupid to figure that out! LOL

okieshooter777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont have my map handy right now, but I do believe that that area is public hunting land. When you stop out at the main office to get your parking pass they will give you a map of the areas. THe office is on Alameda past the bridge. I scanned my map and can email it to you later this evening. Ill be home about 8:30 so shoot me a pm and Ill forward it on to you.

Great i appreciate that!

I hunted dirty bird for a few years when I lived in norman, that is what got me really interested in bow hunting. I only had to drive 10 min to hunt. I never did pull anything out of there though. So when did they make you start getting a parking pass? Or have they always done that and I was just to stupid to figure that out! LOL

Anybody take any good deer from here? Is there lots of hunters here? Is it BOw only?

TulsaMAE

Marksman
Reaction score
I helped a guy one night load up a decent 6 point...all I ever saw were does, nice size, just couldn't get one bagged. Oh and yes it is bow hunting only around the lake unless that has changed but I don't think it has.

Davs2601

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yep its archery only. This is my 7th year hunting and im try trying to get my first deer with archery equipment. I havent always hunted tbird though. I have seen deer out there and know folks bag deer out there every eyar. Its just about trying to find a quiet spot to yourself out there. I know the past few years when I have hunted there the parking pass has been required but I have never had anyone ask about it.

There are tons of turkeys out there, but it is archery deer only.

RaysZ71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw an 8 point out there, crossed the road right in front of me but that was few years back. As far as I know it's Bow only out there.

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
i live 1/2 mile or so from there.. there is lots of does is the area. the bucks like to hang out in my backyard though, atleast until my cheap deer feeder pooped out...

i even have a stray neighborhood horse walk around my house every now and then.... (got him on camera too...lol)

Latest posts

Top Bottom