NYC will make volunteers pay New York State taxes on wages

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HJB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nothing like the gratitude of the State of New York !

New York State, a virus hot spot, requested healthcare workers from across the nation to come and help with frontline response efforts. Any of those that heeded the call and remained in the state for longer than 14 days are liable for the state’s income tax.

So, if they came from a state with an income tax, they will have to pay that state tax as well as New York State tax !

You can't make this **** up ! That's the kind of crap that has people leaving New York in droves, and they were $6 billion in the hole before the Chinese flu even came up. Now they want you and me to pay the deficit that was created by years and years of bad management, corruption and terrible government decisions to get them out of deficit budget this year.

EFF 'em !

Last edited:

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's the way it works...you work in another state and you're subject to their rules.
And I guess we have a difference of opinion on the definition of "volunteer".

My question is, do you pay taxes to NY on all your regular income for the year and not JUST the income earned while IN NY?

I THINK... not sure, but I THINK when you live in one state and work in another, you usually end up deducting the taxes from one in another, effectively making you just pay the rate of the higher taxation state's tax. But if NY is making short-term workers pay NY's (likely) higher state tax rate on ALL their income, then yeah, that's a f***ed up and s***ty thing to do.

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been caught in this trap before. You pay taxes on the income earned while in the alternate location and deduct that from your OK state taxes. In addition to NY state taxes, NYC also has a city income tax.

One year I paid Federal income, NJ state, PA state, Philadelphia city and OK state income taxes. Cost a small fortune to have HR Block file them all.

Okielqnder

Marksman
Reaction score
I've been caught in this trap before. You pay taxes on the income earned while in the alternate location and deduct that from your OK state taxes. In addition to NY state taxes, NYC also has a city income tax.

One year I paid Federal income, NJ state, PA state, Philadelphia city and OK state income taxes. Cost a small fortune to have HR Block file them all.
The people that you refer to as volunteers are people that offered to go to new York and get paid for the time worked. When would you King in another state for a,period of time, you pay income tax in that state and not in your home state. Simple as that

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
Govunah Cumo could easily get something passed to waive that. Hell he is burning money on everything else. Pass a law that all medical providers this year are tax free in NY and have that idiot in NYC do the same thing.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

HR Block will rape you on a simple filing. (only once for me, never again)

Latest posts

Top Bottom