NYC will make volunteers pay New York State taxes on wages

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The people that you refer to as volunteers are people that offered to go to new York and get paid for the time worked. When would you King in another state for a,period of time, you pay income tax in that state and not in your home state. Simple as that
Not true, unless things have changed.

Worked for my oldest brother in his truck repair shop in Sherman, TX in the late '70s. I called OK tax commission, and they informed me that I DID have to pay OK state income tax on my Texas earnings.

The lady said that I live in OK and had to pay OK state income tax. The fact that I chose to work in another state didn't matter.
:drunk2:

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
You have to file in both states, usually, but you get to deduct one from the other, so you're not paying 'double' state income tax, you're usually paying the equivalent of the higher of the two. Or something along those lines.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
TR is absolutely right. That has always been the way I have had to do it as a field contract Geologist. Sometimes I have had to file for 7 different states in a year. It's a pain in the a$$, but that's the way it works.

HJB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I worked as a process consultant for over 20 years and worked it many different states and countries. I never, ever paid any income taxes to any of them, and Texas has no state tax so I didn't even file any state returns. In some cases I might work in the same place every week for more than a year 5 days a week for every week.

But, I think this is a different situation entirely. Even if in any other case people who have to pay these taxes, which they may have had to, I would figure out a way to not make them pay after I got on my knees and begged them to come bail me out ! What a total load of it !

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, the volunteers did go to NYC to aid the Coronavirus situation and some Nurses received $100.00 per hour which isn't chicken feed. But I agree, they shouldn't have to pay NYC taxes if they aren't a resident. $100 for 8 hours =$800.00 per day X a forty hour work week (and I'm sure they worked more than forty) but even a forty hour week =$4,000 per week X 4 weeks = $16,000 per month. But they still endangered their lives-some did contact the COvid19 and they shouldn't have to pay New York taxes. That is foolish under the circumstances. Without the volunteers NYC would have been in a real mess.

Latest posts

Top Bottom