Obama Calls for Increased Background Checks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't remember ever seeing the President of the United State write an opinion article for a newspaper, but Mr. Obama has done so calling for more and better background checks.

The article is loaded up with good sounding words but, much like Obamacare, it leaves out the crucial details. If this isn't a call for a "big brother is watching you" kind of database system, I don't know what is. It also strongly implies that person to person sales ("gun show loophole") will also require background checks - see last paragraph quoted below.

Thanks but no thanks, Mr Obama.

...I believe that if common sense prevails, we can get beyond wedge issues and stale political debates to find a sensible, intelligent way to make the United States of America a safer, stronger place.

I'm willing to bet that responsible, law-abiding gun owners agree that we should be able to keep an irresponsible, law-breaking few - dangerous criminals and fugitives, for example - from getting their hands on a gun in the first place.

I'm willing to bet they don't think that using a gun and using common sense are incompatible ideas - that we should check someone's criminal record before he can check out at a gun seller; that an unbalanced man shouldn't be able to buy a gun so easily; that there's room for us to have reasonable laws that uphold liberty, ensure citizen safety and are fully compatible with a robust Second Amendment.

That's why our focus right now should be on sound and effective steps that will actually keep those irresponsible, law-breaking few from getting their hands on a gun in the first place.

• First, we should begin by enforcing laws that are already on the books. The National Instant Criminal Background Check System is the filter that's supposed to stop the wrong people from getting their hands on a gun. Bipartisan legislation four years ago was supposed to strengthen this system, but it hasn't been properly implemented. It relies on data supplied by states - but that data is often incomplete and inadequate. We must do better.

• Second, we should in fact reward the states that provide the best data - and therefore do the most to protect our citizens.

• Third, we should make the system faster and nimbler. We should provide an instant, accurate, comprehensive and consistent system for background checks to sellers who want to do the right thing, and make sure that criminals can't escape it.

Porous background checks are bad for police officers, for law-abiding citizens and for the sellers themselves. If we're serious about keeping guns away from someone who's made up his mind to kill, then we can't allow a situation where a responsible seller denies him a weapon at one store, but he effortlessly buys the same gun someplace else.
http://azstarnet.com/article_011e7118-8951-5206-a878-39bfbc9dc89d.html

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From The Article said:
I'm willing to bet that responsible, law-abiding gun owners agree that we should be able to keep an irresponsible, law-breaking few - dangerous criminals and fugitives, for example - from getting their hands on a gun in the first place.

Keep the irresponsible, law-breaking few locked up and the problem is solved. One problem, though: If someone is a fugitive, doesn't that mean they've either escaped (government's fault); or are just wanted and on the run, ergo, not adjudicated as a dangerous criminal yet? How does someone on the run get placed on the NICS without a conviction? Does Barack have some new unconstitutional over-reaching laws he'd like to add to the unconstitutional over-reaching laws already on the books?

Barack is too cold and calculating for his "fugitive" comment to be a faux pas.

Woody

Cx12

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last time I look around criminals steal guns not buy them at your local store. If you can convince all the gang members in the US to background check each other i would feel alot safer. :)
Hell i would sell my guns if no criminals ever get a hold of one through the propose increase background check.

Latest posts

Top Bottom