Odd ammo, help me find out what it is.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If this needs to be moved to a different section, feel free to do so.

I have 3 cartridges that i found in a box of stuff that came from my uncle that i cannot figure out what to call them. There were other misc. cartridges & i was able to figure them out from either measuring or research the headstamp. I can't seem to download photos taken with my phone to photobucket to be able to post a picture.
Here is the info i can give;
It is a non rimmed cartridge, it is a slightly tapered cartridge.
In metric measure it would be (these are total dimensions & have not been rounded up or down)
6.66 mm by 50.54 mm. The total length of the bullet (i pulled one out) is 32.37 mm
In sae these dimensions would be
.262" (so 26 caliber) by case length of 1.984" with the length of the bullet being 1.273".

There is absolutely no markings at all on the brass, its completely blank of any headstamp marks, numers, dates, or proof marks.
The primers are not flush with the brass, they are recessed in a little and are very aggressively crimped in the pocket by 3 detents. Makes me think that they may have been used for a machine gun with crimps like that.

If i can't post pics here from my phone, if someone wants me to text the pics i can do that, just send me a pm.
Matt

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The description of your crimp sounds like a couple of these.

upload_2018-5-13_9-58-57.jpeg

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It doesn't really look like any of them. But would be closer to the 3-Stab crimp, only the crimps on mine are a little longer in length.
That pic of the 3 Stab crimp looks like maybe a pin or punch made the crimps, but on mine they look as if a blade like a small flat screwdriver blade made them.

Also, is it possible that what i have is someones old wildcat cartridge?

I can text pics, if anyone wants to post the photos for me.

Last edited:

scottb42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Between "Cartridges of the World" and the internet, my initial guess (absent other measurements) is 6.5x50 Japanese (aka 6.5x50 Arisaka). CotW gives these dimensions:
.263" bullet diameter
.293" neck diameter
.425" shoulder diameter
.455" base diameter
.471" rim diameter
.045" rim thickness
2.00" case length
2.98" cartridge length

Check out this link, looks almost exactly like what you have: https://imgur.com/gallery/1O6Qx

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe that is it.
I have looked on several sites & saw the 6.5 Arisaka on the list but didn't have any pictures to go by, but i didn't think that was it cause i measured over 6.6 mm & there was no cartridges listed with 6.6 mm.

Thanks for the help
I needed to know what to call this cartridge if i was going to put it in my collection.

Latest posts

Top Bottom