ODOT Rant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1) Is it a State, Co or City entity project. the City and Co contracts are, to my knowledge, in house work, paid by the hour.
A state project is put in competitive bidding and the lowest bid gets it. They dont make money wasting time and labor cost. Construction on that level is completely incomprehensive to most.
Not insulting you at all, just saying, I went to college in 87-91 for Construction Management and then worked 30 years designing highways and I learned more and more over that time.
I learned from some of the best like @Jcann ...Deer hunted with his too, but I digress.

(2 all ODOT projects are done by private bidding contracts, sometimes you may see a small maintenance ODOT crew.

3) An engineer made a mistake on the camber on the precast cable beams
Stress limits on those cables inside the precast concrete are calculated based on the deadload (deck of the bridge, based on beam length, spacing, deck thickness and weigh and some other major details) and supposed to be cambered up when set and then plain out to the deadload of the bridge deck. (not unlike a flatbed semi trailer)
A consultant engineer missed his math, and no one caught it, By the time the deck of that bridge was laid, and the error was obvious, Millions had been spent and I couldnt tell you what happened beyond that.
Someone took a hit at the OTA I bet. And I dont know where the funds came from to correct it. The OTA has been in the news more and more and I think we'll see some big changes to their regulations by the legislation. They are currently, entirely unregulated by the state..
You certainly spun that way out of what I was pointing out, and completely attempted to cover up for whoever fawked up and signed off that job on the Kilpatrick extension.
We have gone after contractors with a vengeance when we found out they were screwing us by shoddy work and inflating expenses. Granted I was in a different industry, but it makes no difference in the end. When a contract is let, there are standards to be met that have been laid out by the contracting agency. In your case ODOT, in my case a public utility.
There should be no difference in accountability for the work performed. There is no way in hell we would have allowed a contractor in the power plant to half ass install a new electrical system and signed off on it. There were technicians like me that went wire by wire for months to verify everything was correct and verified before the contract was signed. Thats how project managers should work. That's how ours worked.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You certainly spun that way out of what I was pointing out, and completely attempted to cover up for whoever fawked up and signed off that job on the Kilpatrick extension.
We have gone after contractors with a vengeance when we found out they were screwing us by shoddy work and inflating expenses. Granted I was in a different industry, but it makes no difference in the end. When a contract is let, there are standards to be met that have been laid out by the contracting agency. In your case ODOT, in my case a public utility.
There should be no difference in accountability for the work performed. There is no way in hell we would have allowed a contractor in the power plant to half ass install a new electrical system and signed off on it. There were technicians like me that went wire by wire for months to verify everything was correct and verified before the contract was signed. Thats how project managers should work. That's how ours worked.
I wasnt trying to spin ****, I addressed 3 points of your post where you asked for answers.
I was not a Project manager, I was a designer and dont have any more details than the ones I posted.
And the OTA and ODOT are not one and the same.