Official OSA COVID-19/Corona Virus Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cktad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Counting people who die of "other causes" while suffering from the COVID-19 virus is consistent with standard medical practice. There are numerous reasons for this, but basically suffice it to say that no disease exists in a vacuum.

When I was in school they quoted us that 80% of people over 80 who have a long bone fracture never make it out of the hospital. They die from strokes, heart attacks, pneumonia or a number of other complications - seldom anything directly related to the fractured hip or leg. The reasons have to do with inflammation, stress on already-weak body systems, etc. These people still get counted in epidemiological studies as deaths related to their fracture or to surgeries to repair things - surgeons frequently hate that these numbers get attributed to their surgical complications, and I understand why, but it's the way it is done, consistently.

Other countries were not counting them as COVID-19 deaths to keep their numbers down... the US is doing it to keep consistency with normal medical recordkeeping. COVID-19 can cause you to have a heart attack, if you have the underlying risk factors that make you prone to one already - atherosclerotic disease, primarily. Maybe you would have gone another year or two before having it, but it is still attributable to the infection triggering a cascade of events.
It makes sense as the virus can put stress upon an existing problem
Man do we need a break ...some humor:View attachment 159261

cktad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw on the OK health website that 22,370 people have been tested but only 1,794 tested positive. Must be a lot of other viruses and allergies out there that have symptoms similar to the Covid19.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Latest from OSDH a/o 1100 this morning:

SITUATION UPDATE: COVID-19
  • As of this advisory, there are 1,868 confirmed positive cases of COVID-19 in Oklahoma.
  • There are an additional six deaths:
    • Three in Cleveland County, two females and a male in the 65 and older age group.
    • Two in Oklahoma County, a male and female in the 65 and older age group.
    • One in Pottawatomie County, a female in the 65 and older age group .
  • There are 94 total deaths in the state.
  • Families are encouraged to celebrate the holiday weekend and spring festivities virtually, avoiding large gatherings, in order to comply with social distancing guidelines and avoid the spread of COVID-19.
  • The Oklahoma State Department of Health (OSDH) on Friday released modeling for the estimated impact of COVID-19 for Oklahoma with the date of peak to be April 21. A copy of the forecasting, which includes charts and an explanation of modeling methodology, can be found here,
  • For more information, visit coronavirus.health.ok.gov.

COVID-19 Oklahoma Test Results
Positive (In-State) 1,868
*Total Cumulative Negative Specimens 20,790
*Total Cumulative Number of Specimens to Date 22,511
Total Cumulative Hospitalizations 446
Deaths 94

*The total includes laboratory information provided to OSDH at the time of the report. Total counts may not reflect unique individuals.

Data Source: Acute Disease Service, Oklahoma State Department of Health.
*As of 2020-04-11 at 7:00 a.m.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK Virus.gif

I couldn't find a daily new cases trend graph so I created this one. Note: The number of tests each day which has been ramping up effects this graph. However, it looks like daily new cases is generally staying flat At less than 150 new cases a day. Many days are less than 100 new cases.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Was watching Tucker last night and he had an interesting observation.
In the days preceding the lockdown in Wuhan, hundreds of thousands of high ranking commie officials and the wealthy fled Wuhan and scattered across China yet it appears the Covid-19 was confined to Wuhan.
Tucker’s question was why didn’t those folks that flee’d spread the virus across China like it has in other countries?
It’s an interesting question.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw on the OK health website that 22,370 people have been tested but only 1,794 tested positive. Must be a lot of other viruses and allergies out there that have symptoms similar to the Covid19.

I know one doc in Tulsa who bought 2000 tests from China. He is getting results I absolutely would NOT trust my life on. One person whom has tested positive 3 times via nasal swab and using his blood tests has shown up both positive and negative and then their spouse (whom was also sick a week after them) whom has tested negative several times.

I have a feeling a LOT of these 'negative' tests we're getting aren't very accurate.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

cktad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know one doc in Tulsa who bought 2000 tests from China. He is getting results I absolutely would NOT trust my life on. One person whom has tested positive 3 times via nasal swab and using his blood tests has shown up both positive and negative and then their spouse (whom was also sick a week after them) whom has tested negative several times.

I have a feeling a LOT of these 'negative' tests we're getting aren't very accurate.
That was my first thought as I have heard the tests are iffy. The other thread about S. Korea reinfection after getting over it and being released may be a result of poor testing results.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

A news segment I saw a few days ago was discussing the accuracy of the testing at about 51% & some theories about how that could be.

I'm generally skeptical & cynical toward politicians & news reports, but not one to subscribe to conspiracy theories. However, my wife is convinced I had Covid 19 weeks before it became news.

Late December I developed a chronic cough, fatigue & symptoms consistent with C19. By New Year's Eve I was in bed with a fever where I stayed for 4 days. The fever left but the cough and fatigue remained. Around 10 days later I gave in and went to the doctor. Doc ordered a nasal swab. He said that there are several viruses going around with similar symptoms and is collecting data to determine what is going around. He wrote me a prescription and I recovered after 3-4 days. The test came back as staphylococcus. My wife doesn't trust the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom