OK to shoot coyote in OKC city limits?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobBarker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I live in the far NW corner of the OKC city limits. Its a pretty rural area, and I live in a subdivision that is under development (about 40% done). Nightly, we hear coyotes nearby. If one comes into my backyard trying to get either to our dogs or their food, or near myself and my dog while walking is it against the law for me to shoot it? I have neighbors on all sides and we share a fence line..

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I have a "friend" that used to live in OKC. This "friend" had a skunk in his backyard that was making his dog go berserk at 2am one night.

So my "friend" who grew up in the country does what needs to be done. He quickly got out his G32 and dispatched of the rodent and then ran back inside and went to sleep. A neighbor called the police to report a gunshot. So as all of the neighbors were milling about outside at 2am my "friend" goes out and proceeds to ask "what's going on?"

The neighbor says "you didn't hear that shot????" My "friend" says "No I guess I slept right through it." After a drive through of the neighborhood and not finding anything nefarious, the dispatched police unit leaves and all is well.

My "friend" has since moved to rural area where this isn't a problem and sold that G32. He sure does wish he never sold it.

StanN

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's not that is against the law to shoot the coyote, but rather it's against city ordinance to discharge a firearm within the city limits. Are you in the city limits of OKC or Edmond, or are you outside the city limits and just in the county?

I seriously doubt you will ever even see the coyotes anyway. They are as scared of you as you are of them. They have plenty of other menu choices without having to eat you, your dog or his food.

That being said, i would not hesitate to protect myself or my dog, especially if it were in my own back yard. You would just need to be extremely mindful of what is beyond your target. A 12 gauge or a .410 would be my weapon of choice.

Be safe.

311SCV

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey yall, Not that I have any personal experience with this you understand, but sounds like you need a redneck silencer on a single shot .22. I uh...saw it on CSI one time.

ETA: And some sub sonic .22's. I've heard you can buy them on the net. But I don't know for sure.

brennan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey yall, Not that I have any personal experience with this you understand, but sounds like you need a redneck silencer on a single shot .22. I uh...saw it on CSI one time.

ETA: And some sub sonic .22's. I've heard you can buy them on the net. But I don't know for sure.

Ummm that is illegal

311SCV

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey yall, I was not suggesting he do it. As I said I have no personal experience with such things, nor do I know anyone who does. Just mostly a sort of tongue in cheek observation.

Latest posts

Top Bottom