OKC Giving 3.5M to Cabelas, Fair to Other Retailers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OKC Giving 3.5M to Cabelas--- I just love the free enterprize system--Duh
wonder if I could get $2000 for hot dog cart ?
You'll never know until you try. Some things depend on you. Will your kraut be fresh? Will your Hebrew Nationals be soaking in dirty water? Just draw up a plan. Draw up a plan and get back to us.

Lakenut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wish someone would offer a big incentive for Sportsman's Warehouse to come back:)

The city gave big breaks to BP for them to build in brick town and BP gets very little of my money. They are very over priced. Same will likely go for Cabelas. My prediction is H and H and the other local sporting goods stores will continue to do just fine.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It won't take long for the taxes collected from Cabella's to overcome the incentive.

BP was the same. They have outran their incentives, and are now producing income for the city.

Sometimes you just have to suck it up for awhile and in the end they owe the city.

OKC is not the only place that does that.

Smaller towns do the same. Ponca builds Spec buildings on their dime, and let businesses move in at cost just to occupy the space. Eventually they pay for the building, and along with the utility payments, and other services quickly start making money from the businesses, along with the taxes gained from employees, etc.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wish someone would offer a big incentive for Sportsman's Warehouse to come back:)The city gave big breaks to BP for them to build in brick town and BP gets very little of my money. They are very over priced. Same will likely go for Cabelas. My prediction is H and H and the other local sporting goods stores will continue to do just fine.

I don't work that way. I went into Sportsman's Warehouse after Cabela's opened. I asked the guy behind the gun counter where all the customers were? He said "They are where you just came from." Damn! How'd he know????

Raoul Duke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somewhere in the stillborn state of Sequoyah
How about being fair to NEOK? First there were rumors Tulsa would be getting a 100YD indoor range(2A) and a Cabela's out by Tulsa Hills then the announcement of the Wilshire in OKC, now the Cabelas in OKC. Yeah, I'll admit I'm demoralized and quite jealous.

The publicly subsidized, privately profitable, corporate welfare, crony capitalism sucks, though. At least it's subsidizing something I might enjoy or benefit from for a change, I guess.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cabella's only puts in stores where they can make a profit.

Evidently the sales demographics preclude them from a store in the Tulsa area?

I'd rather go to Tulsa Vs Okc, but that's my opinion.

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is it "Fair to Other Retailers?"
Really? Is it "Fair"?
Sounds like somebody doesn't like capitalism.

So..., you support the EX-IM Bank as well? Cabella's has the cash to move here already. Especially with the smaller store set. It will be profitable quicker than BP. Ironically, SWO asked for no "incentives" and was profitable out of the gate.

Latest posts

Top Bottom