Oklahoma Deer Hunting Regs...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerATC

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Was reading through the hunting regulations in the 2009-10 hunting guide and have two questions...

Does anyone familiar with Lexington WMA know whether it is open for deer gun season? The guide states Lexington is "closed for controlled deer hunts (Nov 14, 15, 18, 19)". It doesn't specifically mention deer gun season anywhere, so I'm afraid I'm interpreting this as it being closed for public deer gun hunting. Can you only deer gun hunt through a draw at Lex? What are the odds of winning such a draw?

I also read in the guide regarding deer stands: No permanent type stands may be constructed in or on a tree nor shall cleats be driven into a tree to gain access to a portion of any tree nor shall any person hunt from such a stand. Only portable type stands, that do not require the use of any fastening device that has the potential of damaging a tree, are permitted.
Am I interpreting this correctly that on public land, you can't even use a climber tree stand because it has teeth that "may damage a tree"?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Was reading through the hunting regulations in the 2009-10 hunting guide and have two questions...

Does anyone familiar with Lexington WMA know whether it is open for deer gun season? The guide states Lexington is "closed for controlled deer hunts (Nov 14, 15, 18, 19)". It doesn't specifically mention deer gun season anywhere, so I'm afraid I'm interpreting this as it being closed for public deer gun hunting. Can you only deer gun hunt through a draw at Lex? What are the odds of winning such a draw?

I also read in the guide regarding deer stands: No permanent type stands may be constructed in or on a tree nor shall cleats be driven into a tree to gain access to a portion of any tree nor shall any person hunt from such a stand. Only portable type stands, that do not require the use of any fastening device that has the potential of damaging a tree, are permitted.
Am I interpreting this correctly that on public land, you can't even use a climber tree stand because it has teeth that "may damage a tree"?

You can use a climber. It doesn't damage the tree.
Using spike nails, or screw in steps is what the reg is concerned about.
Just in my opinion, none of them hurt a tree at all. Woodpeckers punch holes in them all the time and they survive. I have bridge nails that are 10" long driven into trees on private ground, and they have been there for 20 years. Other trees have screw in steps and they are still alive.
Its a concession to the tree huggers.
The corps are not even allowed to spray poison Ivy in the campgrounds.
It just something we have to live with to hunt public grounds.

Don't know about Lexington.

Davs2601

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its only open to blackpowder. To rifle hunt the area you have to appy for a tag through the drawings that should open up here in a bit.

They do frown upon any screw in steps, although you will see them out there. Mostly I have seen ladder stands chained to trees, but some folks will steal you stuff. They do make the strap steps, but im not sure how they would hold. I have a climber, but its hard to find a tree to use it on. I usually look for trees that I can climb without any equipment then put up a chain on stand and hope noone spots it.You could also go with a ground blind, but I dont like them cause I can see much out of them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom