Oklahoma WWII vet honored with long-overdue military medals

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
TULSA — Given the choice, World War II veteran Phillip Coon probably wouldn't want the formality and fuss of being honored on some military base with men and women standing at attention, dressed in full regalia — even if it was with a fistful of long-overdue medals he waited decades to receive.

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-wwii-vet-honored-with-long-overdue-military-medals/article/3896318

So it's fitting that the awards were presented to the humble Tulsa-area man Monday evening during an informal ceremony in a waiting area at the Tulsa International Airport, with family and fellow veterans in attendance and little pomp and circumstance.

There, the 94-year-old survivor of a POW labor camp and the Bataan Death March received the Prisoner of War Medal, Bronze Star and the Combat Infantryman Badge. He and his son, Michael, had just returned from a trip to Japan aimed at promoting an understanding and healing between that country and the U.S.

The two dozen or so people in attendance applauded wildly after the medals were presented to Coon, who was seated in a wheelchair. He lifted his ball cap in recognition, exposing a shock of silver hair.

“I've been blessed to come this far in life,” he said, a tear streaming down one cheek. “I thank the Lord for watching over me.”

Retired Maj. Gen. Rita Aragon, Oklahoma's secretary of military and veterans' affairs, said most veterans were — rightly — more focused on reuniting with their families than chasing after military ribbons when they returned after the war. Aragon presented the medals to Coon during the airport ceremony.

Coon, who lives in Sapulpa in northeastern Oklahoma, served as an infantry machine gunner in the Army and survived the brutal Bataan Death March in the Philippines in 1942. Tens of thousands of American and Filipino soldiers were forced by the Japanese military to complete a 65-mile trek with little food or water in blazing heat. As many as 11,000 died along the way.

It's not clear why Coon didn't get his medals before now, but such occurrences with awards are not uncommon in the military.

“He was entitled to the medals but never received them,” said Jake Heisten, press secretary for U.S. Sen. Jim Inhofe, whose office contacted the military three weeks ago about the missing medals. “Unfortunately, our office comes across instances where members do not actually receive the awards they are eligible for or have already been awarded.”

Kay Guynes, president of Rolling Thunder Oklahoma, a national advocacy group for POWs and those missing in action, said some people “choose to put a period at the end of things” after veterans return home from combat. Guynes, who attended the ceremony for Coon, said instead of doing that they should focus on ensuring that medals and other honors go to those who deserve them.

Tulsa veteran David Rule, who served in the Vietnam War, helped Coon and his family with their push to find out why his medals hadn't been issued. For the past 10 years or so, Rule has helped recognize about 150 area veterans by memorializing their names, ranks and branches of service on granite plaques that are presented to them and their families.

“It's not just (Coon's) story. Every one of these men are special,” Rule said earlier Monday. “I have a passion for these servicemen. They just sacrificed so much. It doesn't matter to me whether they were a cook or a four-star general, just for them to get this million-dollar smile on their face when they know they aren't forgotten.”

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to go to church with Philip and his wife, Helen. Nicest folks you could possibly meet. I remeber him telling his story about the Bataan Death March in church over twenty years ago. Tough, tough guy.

RKM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My mother's uncle survived Bataan. Went into the service at a strapping 175 pounds, came home under a 100 pounds. Never had a chance to meet him, but my mother said he was never the same after the war.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was in the plane with him last night from Chicago to Tulsa. When he was announced as a WWII vet everyone clapped. And then it was announced that he survived the Bataan and everyone gasped then clapped again. There were probably 100 people at the security points waiting on him. Brought a tear to my eye and made me think of and say a prayer to Grandpa who was at the Bulge.

Latest posts

Top Bottom