Okra

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Anyone interested in some okra? Our plants have been producing like crazy and I haven't found a good way(for us) to freeze for later. The cooler weather will slow down the production and I'm close to pulling what's left in the ground.

I live in the Tuttle area and could meet at the Coal Creek Winery or thereabouts. I've got a couple of half gallon ziplocs but needs to be dealt with soon - cooked or froze. A long ways from going bad.

Established members only! :) Just kidding.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
@rickm Appreciate the input. Don't do pickled okra - yuck! :) We've tried breading then freezing but seemed like when we thawed it out the breading always fell off. So, we fry some up every week then give away much, much more than we can eat. I made the "mistake" of planting too much since what I planted earlier in the season wasn't coming up. Well, I was just putting the seed down too early!

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
@rickm Appreciate the input. Don't do pickled okra - yuck! :) We've tried breading then freezing but seemed like when we thawed it out the breading always fell off. So, we fry some up every week then give away much, much more than we can eat. I made the "mistake" of planting too much since what I planted earlier in the season wasn't coming up. Well, I was just putting the seed down too early!
Don't thaw it.

If I was closer, I would take it.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I can understand the over planting have done it many times in the past, but between me and my parents we never had a problem selling it since mom has always sold her over abundance of all her veggies just by putting a sign out by the road and also having past customers that always called early in the year giving a list of what veggies they wanted and all she had to do was call back when ready, and it helped we sold milk, eggs and butter and processed chickens and turkeys during the holidays she done that for nearly 40 years.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Anyone interested in some okra? Our plants have been producing like crazy and I haven't found a good way(for us) to freeze for later. The cooler weather will slow down the production and I'm close to pulling what's left in the ground.

I live in the Tuttle area and could meet at the Coal Creek Winery or thereabouts. I've got a couple of half gallon ziplocs but needs to be dealt with soon - cooked or froze. A long ways from going bad.

Instead of freezing. Look on YouTube for old Alabama Gardner. He has a recipe for canning it for future frying. We have done it for years and it is delicious. He has a recipe for summer squash also. Basically the same. He has passed away and we will not have anymore knowledge from him.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Instead of freezing. Look on YouTube for old Alabama Gardner. He has a recipe for canning it for future frying. We have done it for years and it is delicious. He has a recipe for summer squash also. Basically the same. He has passed away and we will not have anymore knowledge from him.
Thank you! I'll go give it a look after my next conference call.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
46   0   0

I love okra!

Latest posts

Top Bottom