Old 1911 question(s)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powdernlead

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A friend of mine has a colt 1911 sn: 62060. From my research, that puts it at being manufactured in 1914. Everything seems original and finish is about 80-85%. He also has a leather holster that is stamped US inside an oval and has an adjustable strap attached to it. The holster has a brass snap on a strap for retention. All the hardware on the holster appears to be brass. What would an approximate value be for this fine piece of American history? I can text pics, pm me your contact info. Thanks!

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hopefully this one is still in the original blue. Lots of these got Parkerized during WWII. Some of the small parts on these pre-WWI Colt's are made different from those produced a few years later. The metal is on the soft side in these early Colts; avoid use with anything other than mild 230 gr "ball".

scalawag pimp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Without good pics it will be unable to tell. While I love Colts, I am a complete novice on the old 1911s. However, I do know people who are experts and they can give you a good evaluation. Be very thorough in the pics you send (or post). It seems every gun I send questions on has some replaced parts or some that are refinished. Break down the gun and take pics of everything.

If you do have a complete original gun, it is defiantly a keeper.

powdernlead

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys! looks to be a dull phosphate finish or maybe a parkerized finish. Only finish wear is on corners, high spots, and top of the chamber (external). I think the grips have been replaced, as they do not have the diamonds at the screw holes and appear to be plastic. The gentleman that owns it says he hasnt shot it in 30 years or more.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys! looks to be a dull phosphate finish or maybe a parkerized finish. Only finish wear is on corners, high spots, and top of the chamber (external). I think the grips have been replaced, as they do not have the diamonds at the screw holes and appear to be plastic. The gentleman that owns it says he hasnt shot it in 30 years or more.
Sure sounds like it got the re-arsenal treatment circa-WWII. That's what happened to many early 1911's. It also explains why the early ones, with their original blue finish, early parts and two-tone magazine add considerable more dollars to their value.

scalawag pimp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sure sounds like it got the re-arsenal treatment circa-WWII. That's what happened to many early 1911's. It also explains why the early ones, with their original blue finish, early parts and two-tone magazine add considerable more dollars to their value.

It defiantly got a redo but I could not see the arsenal marks. I sent him a text and he is going to check tonight on the gun. The grips would be plastic on a refinish starting around 1941...... I'm told. Neat gun and great learning all I can about them.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
definatly worth a couple of hundred dollars as long as it still shoots.

Seriously arsinal rework colts range from $495 to $1400 if in mint condition.

Latest posts

Top Bottom