Old Marlin 30-30 vs New Marlin 30-30

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jduff8505

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For the sake of keeping it apples to apples, I'm only concerned with the 30-30 caliber. The question I have is this. What is the big stink and perceived hatred of the new Marlin verses the old one? I realize the stock material changed, and they are now subsidiary of Remington. But why the hatred for the cross bolt safety and the other changes?

Jeff

jmike314

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From what I understand, the fit of the Marlington 336's was less than desirable shortly after the merger.....gaps between stock & frame and such.

The wood is now laminate instead of walnut or hardwood. That's huge. I like wood rifles.

Instead of bluing on the metal, there is now a matte finish. This would be mostly personal preference. I would think the matte finish would hold up better over time...have to wait and see. However, the bluing is awful purdy.

The cross bolt safety was introduced in the mid 80s...so there are true Marlins with a safety. Those I've talked to that despise the cross bolt believe a safety is unnecessary on a lever and diminishes the lever tradition.

Personally, I own both. The 2012 I have has a "beefier", stocky feel to it and I don't mind the matte finish too much. It shoots straight and is put together well. Others have said that they've gotten better.

The older ones I have are my favorite pieces. Not exact sure what it is about the lever I like, but they're darn fun to shoot. It's a bit of a slimmer feel and I really like the blued receiver & barrel. Of everything in the safe, the favorite is the '74 Glenfield 30A.

furlong222

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
immediatly after the switch to Remington the rifles were coming out with "barrel droop"--the barrel would angle down from the receiver---poor wood to metal fit---the front sight would lean off to the side---just in general a really poor example---not all of them but enough to make a huge negative impact on the brand....check it over closely for all of these ...

you can go to the marlin owners forum for a complete breakdown on the problems....the rifles that came out with normal fit and function were OK....

furlong222

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
they are still US made...when Rem bought them they moved the plant to NY and fired all the old employees....hired all new and started making sub standard product...seems to be getting better now that they a few years exp under their belts...and...they werent all bad initially...jist a big enough % to hammer the brand name....

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
they are still US made...when Rem bought them they moved the plant to NY and fired all the old employees....hired all new and started making sub standard product...seems to be getting better now that they a few years exp under their belts...and...they werent all bad initially...jist a big enough % to hammer the brand name....

I have been toying with the idea of a 336 and I've handled a few. Some are nicer than others. I would buy one, not sight unseen though.

BGAvitek

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got an older Marlin 30-30, and a newer one as well, and I love them both. Then again, I am a sucker for lever action rifles, so I've never owned one that I disliked. The older one is obviously a bit more sentimental so I perceive it as being better, but I've never had any issues with the newer model.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
My brother had a Pre Remington Marlin 336 that is built very nice. I went and bought one a few years ago and had it for an hour and realized that the rear sight was installed wrong. The dovetail was cut crooked. Couldn't tell at the shop. I went and took it back and got my money back. I hated to get rid of my new 336 because it was the stainless steel one with dark wood furniture. Most beautiful gun I ever owned. I would never buy a brand new Marlin again unless they start making their guns better. Lever Actions that is.

I then offered my brother some money for his 336 and he said deal.

I actually sold the one my brother had back to him because I got sick of it sitting in the safe not getting shot. I kind of regret it now, but oh well, live and learn.

Latest posts

Top Bottom