One Tough Coyote

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Went out with my brother yesterday morning to a couple places he has. He got up in a ladder deer stand on the first stand and I put the Prairie Blaster on the edge of a wheat field where I could watch downwind and he could see into the weeds behind me. Called for awhile and I heard him switch to pup distress. One had come in behind me and slowly walked over the hill. When he switched to distress it came back and he shot and missed.
Went to the next spot and both got in a double ladder stand and put the call out 20 yrds in front of us. We had several cats on trail cameras at this spot and were hoping to call one in. We used the decoy on the foxpro for this stand. Called a few minutes and I saw him shifting his gun and looked over to see a coyote trotting away down wind about 150 yrds. When it looked like he was set, I barked and the yote stopped. He missed. About 10 minutes later, he says there is another coming in. It is running right for the call and he is ready this time. I bark it to a stop at 40 yrds and he shoots it facing us. It just tips over backwards and we keep calling. A couple minutes later he says it is walking off and he shoots in again, using a .204 with hornady vmax factory bullets, and it goes down yelping this time. I am not watching when he says it is running away. We end up getting down and luckily we had some snow still on the ground and could stay with the blood trail. We followed it about 3/8 of a mile and had to run it down and shoot it again after we caught up to it in a creek bed that it didn't seem to be able to get up the bank to get out of. That was one tough coyote. The first shot blew a fist sized hole out the side of his shoulder but must not have gotten the vitals very well. I think it took 7 shots to kill him but only 4 or 5 were hits. Next time we will shoot again if one is still flopping.

ai35.photobucket.com_albums_d168_imhntn_1_22_11Coyote.jpg

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice job. I had a bobcat episode similar. I was in a 20 foot tall blind and was hearing noises coming from a thicket and I started lip squeaking (deer hunt in December) a bobcat gets up on a stump. Boom 30.06, it falls outta sight in the thicket. I hear more noise, lip squeak some and a bobcat gets in view near same stump. Boom bobcat out of sight. I hear more noise and I am like no way can I be missing. Lip squeak some more, see bobcat, boom it falls in sight. I climb down to find 3 bobcats. But I was first thinking the first 2 shots might have missed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom