Opinions on a Home Defense Revolver for the Non-Enthusiast

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Smith J frame with an enclosed hammer. 442, 642, 640, etc... Only two “controls” - a release for the cylinder to load/unload, and a trigger to make it go bang. No worries with cocking a hammer (or a novice trying to lower a hammer...). As simple as it gets.

I got my mom a 642 and put a hogue tamer grip on it. The factory trigger is a little heavy, but a Wilson Combat spring kit will cure that. I’ve put one in all my J frames.

A DAO model K frame will serve the same purpose, but you won't be sacrificing a round and the gun will be much easier to shoot proficiently...especially with +P loads. IMO, a J frame should be fairly far down the list as a home defense weapon for someone with little experience or training.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No, Airweights are not going to work. I dig the 442; but for her? No. Need a heavier gun.

Keep ‘em coming folks; good ideas here. Heavy, preferably stainless. I am leaning to the .357 but as said, loaded with .38’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OK substitute a "6" series, 65, 66, etc. All K frame.

A 686 or GP100 might be too intimidating but would really be better but probably out of your price range. We know that but new and casual shooters think small and light means easier to shoot.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think that probably the best option is to stay K frame or similar Ruger. Y’all all giving good thoughts here.

RustedBeef

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, Airweights are not going to work. I dig the 442; but for her? No. Need a heavier gun.

Keep ‘em coming folks; good ideas here. Heavy, preferably stainless. I am leaning to the .357 but as said, loaded with .38’s.

Taurus makes cheap heavy and stainless revolvers. Is she a gun snob?

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score

Go_Ordnance

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

The 640 is stainless and rated for .357 I have the 640 Pro. For that kind of money, I like my K6S better. Wife has one of the new Colt Cobra’s. It’s an easy shooter.

The airweight with the Hogue tamer and .38 is easy to shoot. My mom is 75 and has no problems shooting up to a box of standard pressure, or a cylinder or two of +P.

I’ve switched to Speer’s “short barrel” .357 load in the K6S. 100 FPS or so faster out of a snubby than .38 +P, without the god awful flash and noise as standard pressure .357

Latest posts

Top Bottom