Opnions on the Zestava AK sporters and VZ2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghostrider

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has or has fired the new Zestava AK or VZ2008 by Century Arms. Interested in purchasing one soon Are the barrels straight, any problems with ammo or malfunctions? Right now I'm leaning towards the VZ2008. Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks!

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depends on which "Zastava" AK you're talking about. The O-PAPs seem to have a good reputation, and the VZ2008 is said by many to be one of the few rifles Century actually got right. The deal AIM had for a VZ2008 with 5 mags was a great deal. Looks like they're sold out now. I really like the Czech-designed rifles.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a VZ2008. Front sight was canted left, as per the apparent AK model. I drifted it, and the rifle shoots straight.

I had one malfunction so far, a round didn't extract. Judging from the cratered primer, it may have been an overcharged round (Tula factory). The extractor ripped the rim off of it trying to get it out. The rifle took the abuse in stride. My only gripe is the safety moves "backward" to my tastes. Other than that, it is a well made, dependable, and accurate rifle that I wouldn't hesitate to depend on.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Depends on which "Zastava" AK you're talking about. The O-PAPs seem to have a good reputation, and the VZ2008 is said by many to be one of the few rifles Century actually got right. The deal AIM had for a VZ2008 with 5 mags was a great deal. Looks like they're sold out now. I really like the Czech-designed rifles.

On their website to pre-order...... " TO ARRIVE AND BEGIN SHIPPING ON OR AROUND 01/08/2014" . Nice for $499.95 . Pretty good deal.

ghostrider

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You are correct about the mags. I read an article on the VZs a couple of years ago about this. They have their own magazines designed specifically for the rifle and cannot be used with AK mags.

Beau

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
if i was you i would get a yugo m70b1 (fixed stock) or m70ab2 (underfolder) over a o-pap. the opap is like a striped down version of a m70b1 its missing the grenade sight/gas cut off and missing the flip up night sights. the npap uses a thinner receiver and is lighter weight version of the opap.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom