OSA Chit Chat Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great pics. Makes me wish I had a better camera when we lived out west in the middle of the Navajo reservation 25 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We worked at a small RV park in Kanab, UT a couple of years ago. We got to see a lot of that area of Utah and NE Arizona. One of the places that I wanted to go to on our trip last month was to one of the slot canyons near Page, AZ, but the tribe has closed down a lot of stuff for Covid. Lots of folks know about Upper and Lower Antelope Canyon, but those generally are too crowded with tourists to get any decent pictures. Shoot, even if one pays extra for a "photographer tour," they still get interrupted by the tourist groups going through. The one I wanted to go to is referred to as "Canyon X," largely because at one point one can look up and see an "X" pattern it the top of the canyon. That slot canyon doesn't see as many tourists.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Other things of note in the southern Utah and northern Arizona area. This first picture is of the Little Colorado River Gorge. This is a tributary near the Grand Canyon that is on Tribal land and feeds into the Colorado River. Although, when we stopped here in 2018, there wasn't any water in the Little Colorado River. This year, what with the Tribal lands being closed, we weren't able to get back to here.

Fortunately, southern Utah doesn't have much, if any, Navajo Tribal lands, so there are still lots of things to see here. This first picture is of what is called the Toadstools, which are off of Highway 89 about 20 miles west of Page, AZ.

Just a couple hundred yards to the west of those toadstools are several more smaller toadstools, but also a view of another little canyon. We just love the color variations in the formations. When we were in this area, we were telling some of the other hikers in the area of this little canyon. A number of them came back and thanked us for pointing it out.

A short ways out of Kanab, UT is Johnson Canyon. Up that canyon is the remains of the a movie set, which if I remember right is for the Gunsmoke series. Then, further up the canyon are some petroglyphs, although the petroglyphs are on private property, so the best I could do was use a good telephoto lens.

dancer4life

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good morning guys.

983E6C59-DBA8-422C-8BBA-07377E665838.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom