Our new house has mold behind one wall, looking for recommendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is some mold in the attic on the under-sheath, it’s in the corner so I can’t get in there to see how bad it may be underneath insulation. It’s also right around the fireplace so I’m hoping the fireplace isn’t rotted out.

I believe the leak is resolved. We had a new roof put on when we bought and it seems to have come from the seal in that area or a vent or something. We literally closed today so I haven’t been there in rain to confirm. With the mold on the under-sheath I hope we don’t have to pull part of the new roof. Ugh.

Attachments

• IMG_8454.jpeg
    IMG_8454.jpeg
    259.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8453.jpeg
    IMG_8453.jpeg
    403 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8452.jpeg
    IMG_8452.jpeg
    285.4 KB · Views: 0

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You might check with an attorney, if they knew and didn’t disclose the issue you may have a case.

We may pay a consulting fee to have everything looked at. They did not disclose anything about it. I think our best evidence of proof is the repaired ceiling right at the leak. Anecdotally, looking at cases on Reddit and such it seems hard to prove these things. But might be worth $250 for a consult if this repair ends up being $10,000.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We may pay a consulting fee to have everything looked at. They did not disclose anything about it. I think our best evidence of proof is the repaired ceiling right at the leak. Anecdotally, looking at cases on Reddit and such it seems hard to prove these things. But might be worth $250 for a consult if this repair ends up being $10,000.
The repair is the smoking gun that they knew.

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sometimes if there was an old leak, the mold turns black when it’s not active. Bioesque, or benefect will treat and encapsulate it. Your stuck tearing it out to remedy it. Best thing to do if you have no knowledge on mold is have it tested and the test results will come with a protocol to mitigate it.
Yeah, I have a call out to a few remediation companies, minimally I’ll have them test it. If it isn’t toxic, I’ll grab a sledge and get out my aggression. After I turn off the gas line and such…

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The repair is the smoking gun that they knew.
The first two pics are of their patch. Third pic shows relation to the mold. You can even see a faint yellow ring on the patch they did.

Attachments

• IMG_8436.jpeg
    IMG_8436.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8435.png
    IMG_8435.png
    8.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8442.jpeg
    IMG_8442.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is the mold area above the fireplace?
Yeah. All behind the wood paneling, between it and the Sheetrock. Also some in the attic. The ceiling has some water damage, but haven’t seen mold there. I removed half of this and stopped when I saw the thick mold behind the panel.
IMG_8456.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Professional cleaning supply I believe has an okc location. They sell products to treat it. Personally I use plant based spray so we don’t introduce chemicals into peoples houses. People are paranoid about mold. Most cases are fairly harmless, unless you are extremely allergic.

When you walk in the house, do you overwhelmingly smell it?

Latest posts

Top Bottom