Outback Steakhouse: No Rights, Just Rules(gun free zone rules for LEs)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
https://www.nraila.org/articles/20180209/outback-steakhouse-no-rights-just-rules
Outback Steakhouse: No Rights, Just Rules
FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 9, 2018

The incident occurred when Tennessee Wildlife Resource Agency Officer Andrew Ward and his wife went to the restaurant for dinner. In a Facebook post, Ward explained,

I was approached by the manager and asked if I would put my gun in my truck. I let her know that I couldn’t because I was in uniform. She then went and made a call and came back and we were asked to leave because Outback is a gun free zone.
Rightfully disturbed by the encounter, Ward added,

What is this country coming to? A uniformed Law Enforcement Officer who is sworn to protect and serve the public, is refused service because they have a firearm! I am disgusted and have no other words!!!

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What if they call LE for a robbery or disturbance? Are they supposed to leave their guns in the car then?

That is dumber than a stump. :bah:

When your dealing with gun grabbers/haters, it is SOP. Did you notice what the article said when Outback finally woke up and smelled the "fecal log" in their coffee:

..."Sensing a growing public outrage, Outback reached out to the Wards and offered them a $100 gift card and an apology. Outback’s parent-company, Bloomin’ Brands, Inc., issued a statement to Chattanooga’s WTVC that contended it is not company policy to prohibit law enforcement officers from carrying at their restaurants. The statement went on to blame the incident on the individual restaurant manager.

While the manager might have handled the situation better, Bloomin’ Brands shares some responsibility for creating the irrational gun free zone policy that the employee was forced to interpret. Outback Steakhouse ads have long carried the tagline “Outback: No Rules, Just Right.” In order to better reflect company values and bolster ongoing efforts at authenticity, we submit for consideration, “Outback: No Rights, Just Rules.”"

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I guess I'll add Outback to the growing list of places they I won't visit.
The policy came from Bloomin brands that also own several other chain restaurants. Same policy in effect for all of them.

Carrabbas Italian grill
Bonefish grill
Flemings Prime Steakhouse
Roys
Brinker international
Darden Restaurants
Outback

They don't appear to take much of a political side one way or another.
Political contributions
Bloomin' Brands has a leaning political action committee called the Bloomin' Brands, Inc. Political Action Committee which gives to both conservative and liberal and Democrat and Republican candidates. Typically those on Congressional committees overseeing its business sector. Bloomin' Brands, Inc. Political Action Committee is a PAC during the 2016 election. As of the most recent 2018 financial filing from the Federal Election Commission (FEC), the committee raised a total of $334,000 and spent a total of $301,000. During the 2017-18 period so far, as of the most recent financial filing from the Federal Election Commission (FEC), the committee contributed to a mix of Democrats and Republican candidates and committees, as well as specific business sector oriented PACS such as the National Restaurant Association (NRA) PAC.

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
According to Bloomin Brands Inc. website, here are their companies/brands. This info was copyrighted 2015 so maybe they have added more since:

https://www.bloominbrands.com/home/index.aspx
Outback Steakhouse
Carrabba's Italian Grill
Bonefish Grill
Fleming's Prime Steakhouse

"Since the first Outback Steakhouse opened, our family has expanded to include Carrabba’s Italian Grill, Bonefish Grill, and Fleming’s Prime Steakhouse & Wine Bar. Together, these unique, Founder-inspired restaurants that deliver exceptional quality and welcoming hospitality make up Bloomin’ Brands, Inc."

Last edited:

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The policy came from Bloomin brands that also own several other chain restaurants. Same policy in effect for all of them.

Carrabbas Italian grill
Bonefish grill
Flemings Prime Steakhouse
Roys
Brinker international
Darden Restaurants

Outback.
The highlighted companies are not owned by Bloomin' Brands. They are competitors, actually. I've been in charge of project management on a few of their most recent restaurants over the last couple of years.

Brinker International only owns Chili's and Maggiano's restaurants. They used to own a few more (Macaroni Grill and On The Border to name a couple), but they sold off brands back when the economy tanked around 2008-2009. (My wife worked for Brinker in their accounting department at the time and Brinker was the largest client that the architectural firm that I worked for had at the time). Not sure about their gun policies, but I rarely if ever visit them anyway (unless I'm in Dallas, then I'm quite likely to go to Maggiano's. I freaking LOVE their cheesecake).

Darden owns Olive Garden, Red Lobster and Long Horn Steakhouse, to name a few. I know this because I still work with that firm previously mentioned and I do a good bit of work on their current projects. Again, I don't know about their policies because I don't visit them.

That all being said, I think their (Bloomin' Brands) stance on guns is wrong. Although, I kind of side with gerhard1 when it comes to them (or any other business) ejecting civilians for legally carrying firearms.

Latest posts

Top Bottom