Outfitting advice for beginner rifle shooter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Friend of mine I more or less introduced to shooting is buying his first rifle. He's planning on a Savage 10 FP .308 Win. Good choice as far as I'm concerned. However, he mentioned a Brunton 6-24x scope which I'd never heard of before. Googled them, didn't really find much other than some prices on unavailable or out of stock items. Prices were ~$100-150. So I'll assume that's more or less the budget, maybe up to $200. However, he'll also need base, rings, and a bipod. What else?

I was going to suggest the EGW 0-moa base (he's new, I don't think he'll need 20 moa) ($40), SWFA SS rings (30mm and include 1" inserts) ($35), and Harris 1A2-BRM bipod (6-9" notched legs) ($65).

Unless someone has serious objections; and I've already received some positive feedback on that, that's what I'll suggest. Now back to the scope.

Having never heard anything about it before, I'll just assume it's somewhere in the Barska/NCstar/BSA range. In other words, I want to point him away from spending money on that in favor of better optics. However, like me when I started out, $$ was possible where $$$ was not. And since he's a working college student, I'll assume he's in the same position. So while I know moving up to a Bushnell 4200, Nikon, or Vortex Viper would be great, I don't think it's possible at the time.

So far the recommendation I've received is the Bushy 3200 10x, which I've heard great things about. I was reading on the 'Hide about the Vortex Crossfire 6-24x 1" scope, and while it isn't a fantastic scope, the general consensus was good for the money ($99). This way he could start shooting while saving up for a better scope, say the $300-500 range, or whatever he wanted to spend on it. I know I have a hard time waiting till I have the money for the whole package, and if I could get the rifle and a basic scope I would, just so I could start shooting. What about something like this Simmons 6-24x? I know someone just put something similar on a 6.5G build. TacticalJ maybe?

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That base, rings, and bipod setup is exactly what lives on my savage 12fv. 'Tis my budget shooter and does its job well!

The Bushnell is good, along with the SWFA SS scopes. Millet isn't bad either. All are in the ~$300ish range, though.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If he's gonna buy a base might as well get the +20MOA so later down the road that'll not be another thing that will have to be bought and yes you can still get your 100 yard zero. All my rifles have +20MOA bases and even my pistol.

For the scope, is he going to hunt with this rifle or shoot steel or paper? I've got 2 ideas on a scope 1 you may have never heard of but I have 3 and think they are just awesome scopes!

The rings well I'd find out what glass is going to be used and look real hard at the Warne rings. Lots of folks out there don't like them but I have the plain ol' 30mm rings on my 243 and 7WSM pistol and the tactical rings on the 308 and they are freakin' solid! the standard 30mm rings will go for around $40 the tac rings well when you add on tactical you also add $60-$80 to the cost of normal stuff. Whatever prod him toward MOA/MOA it's SO much easier than Mil.

I like the idea on bipods, I didn't pay attention when I got mine and they are not the notch legs but then again most of the time when I'm shooting prone I never move them from the shortest position.

Another thing the Savage is a lights out platform straight from the box! BUT they have one thing that when you upgrade they turn awesom and that is the stock, they suck BUT will work for awhile. Look at the Bell and Carlson stocks or better yet look on the Stockade Stocks website and while your there get the phone number call Kevin and order a tactical bolt handle NO KNURL (you'll thank me later) and a bolt lift kit.

Something else for later down the road is a trigger, yes the Accu-Trigger is a great thing but one day you'll have to try out my SSS trigger :thumb:

Good you pointed him toward a Savage rifle and you might want to call out to Gene Sears and ask about the price on there's before you buy! just saying. Later,

Kirk

Latest posts

Top Bottom