+P ammo in middle-aged S&W

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whlsdn

New to the site!
Reaction score
I'd say no to the +P in the S&W. Whatever the actual ballistic difference, I know the dif when I shoot +P as opposed to standard stuff in my Airweight. (Ouch! Darn aging wrist!) So I wouldn't shoot +P in a gun not specifically rated for it.

I too prefer bigger bullets and more zoom than the 38 snubbie gives me, but I can carry the Airweight in my pocket when I wish without any problem with concealment. And I don't know anyone who wants to get shot by it. So I guess it'll do.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's been my primary carry over the summer, which I know is a pretty bad idea. It's a backup to my 9mm Sig now, and I'm saving up for a compact M&P to carry in hotter weather.

The thing that I like most about the little revolver is that I can always follow rule #1. The reason I'm worried about loading the snub with good ammo is because, since this is my "stow and go" gun, there's a nonzero chance that it'll be the gun I have on hand when I need one.

Again, since the J frame's primary use is a "get off me" gun, I don't see the significance in +P ammo. Personally, I carry Federal Nyclads (125gr standard pressure) in mine. Up close and personal (damn near hugging distance) they will get me out of harm's way just as easily as a +P load will.

I like to call the mighty Airweight J frame the "no excuses" gun. There should be absolutely no excuse why ANYBODY can't pack an Airweight Jaybird on their person at ALL times.

Also, don't forget to tote at least one spare reload for the little feller. A Bianchi speed strip in the left front pocket hardly weighs anything and takes up little space. Not that I would suspect that anybody in their right mind would try to challenge an armed encounter with only a J frame and an extra 5 more rounds, but if it takes that to get you to safety (or another gun) so be it.

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. ;)

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Again, since the J frame's primary use is a "get off me" gun, I don't see the significance in +P ammo. Personally, I carry Federal Nyclads (125gr standard pressure) in mine. Up close and personal (damn near hugging distance) they will get me out of harm's way just as easily as a +P load will.
Also, don't forget to tote at least one spare reload for the little feller. A Bianchi speed strip in the left front pocket hardly weighs anything and takes up little space.

Man after my own heart; my current loadout is 125 gr Nyclads with 2 speed strips in my back pocket.

After the advice ITT, I think I'm going to play it safe and order some of those standard-pressure Buffalo Bore SWCHCs. They seem to provide a good balance between ballistic performance and not-blowing-up-my-gun.

GeD, while I appreciate your advice (Chuck Askins called these "belly guns" for a reason), my personal choice is to be prepared for an extraordinary situation even if it means being overgunned for the most probable situation.

Latest posts

Top Bottom