+P ammo in middle-aged S&W

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Standard velocity WC or SWC are going to cut a nice round hole to induce good blood flow, they'er going to get to the vital's(most important), and are usually the most accurate out of any length barrel in .38spl.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
NOBODY carries a J frame and encourages one more than I do, but sadly, most folks carry one as their PRIMARY CCW piece which is a relatively bad idea. :nono1:

A snubbie sould be considered a BUG above all or perhaps a gun to get you to your REAL gun back in your vehicle/safe/sock drawer - whatever! :cannon:

I've seen all the charts and heard all the tales about this load and that load. :blahblah: The bottom line is...a J frame revolver is basically a "get off me gun" and nothing more. Granted, five rounds of .38 ammo is better than a poke with a sharp stick, but when you and the bad guy are inside each other's "personal & intimate" space, I don't think +P ammo will give you that big of an advantage over standard pressure loads. :disappoin

As for the +P argument/discussion? I doubt that it'll ever be decided or laid to rest. :rolleyes2 Personally, I figure an occasional +P in your little humpback will be fine. At least with the J frame, you've accomplished Rule #1...Bring a gun!

If you've never read the rules, click on my signature and aquaint yourself with them. :thumb:

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Poop, you need to expand your information library. Here's a good resource to start with.

http://www.snubnose.info/

From the sounds of your post above it would be a wise move on your part if you sold the .38 and bought a .357 snub. Then you would have no worries with any +P load wearing it out and you could always upload to .357's in the winter. Problem solved.

Jeff, the .38 RN is notorious for being an anemic man stopper. What are you reading that shows it otherwise? Listen to LDP, he knows of what he speaks err...types.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shadowrider ...
Sorta going on GED's premise about Snubs here.

38special RNL may be anemic .... In reality, all pistol cartridges are.

I understand the theory of modern bullet design.... Yet I am often dismayed when the latest "wonder bullet" comes up short in the real world (nyclads for just one example).

Carry a mid bore caliber with the length needed to make a high tech bullet more reliable... I'm on board
Pack a snub? Give me nice round holes produced by simple physics every time.
For at least 50 years...45ball and 38 calRNL were the root cause of too many dirt mounds in stone orchards to argue.

Pistols are an evolution of the short sword ... Use the tech solution
when it makes sense....

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
NOBODY carries a J frame and encourages one more than I do, but sadly, most folks carry one as their PRIMARY CCW piece which is a relatively bad idea. :nono1:

It's been my primary carry over the summer, which I know is a pretty bad idea. It's a backup to my 9mm Sig now, and I'm saving up for a compact M&P to carry in hotter weather.

If you've never read the rules, click on my signature and aquaint yourself with them. :thumb:

I have read them. The thing that I like most about the little revolver is that I can always follow rule #1. The reason I'm worried about loading the snub with good ammo is because, since this is my "stow and go" gun, there's a nonzero chance that it'll be the gun I have on hand when I need one.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I understand the theory of modern bullet design.... Yet I am often dismayed when the latest "wonder bullet" comes up short in the real world (nyclads for just one example).

To be fair, Nyclads were invented in the 70s or something; I wouldn't say they're the latest anything.

Pack a snub? Give me nice round holes produced by simple physics every time.

This is why I've been considering standard pressure WCs and SWCs.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FWIW, S&W said NO +P for the Model 12s we had in USAF, but they approve +P for my 442.

Suggest you contact S&W customer service with the model and serial number of your gun and ask them the question.

-----

By Email: [email protected]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Telephone:
1-800-331-0852 (USA)
Mon-Fri 8:00AM-8:00PM Eastern Time

1-413-781-8300 (International)
Mon-Fri 8:00AM-5:00PM Eastern Time

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Fax:
1-413-747-3317 (USA)
1-413-731-8980 (International)

By Mail:
Smith & Wesson
2100 Roosevelt Avenue
Springfield, MA 01104

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
FWIW, S&W said NO +P for the Model 12s we had in USAF, but they approve +P for my 442.

Rod, Depending on when you were in the AirForce, those model 12's could have been the ones with the aluminum cylinders. If so, they really weren't safe for standard loads. If not, then S&W still won't rate the model 12's still out there for +P use.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rod, Depending on when you were in the AirForce, those model 12's could have been the ones with the aluminum cylinders. If so, they really weren't safe for standard loads. If not, then S&W still won't rate the model 12's still out there for +P use.

Right, and I have a very strong tendency to believe and follow S&W recommendations. :rtfm:

Latest posts

Top Bottom