P & S

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been reading about Point and Shoot method of defensive shooting.

What do you all think of it? I think it would be difficult to train myself to draw and shoot with my middle finger, although with small hands, it feels more comfortable to shoot a revolver that way.

Do any IPSC, IDPA shooters use this method or is it always site shooting?

Thanks for any comments.

B

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No one in law enforcement or competitive shooting uses this method. The guy pushing it is a crackpot and has zero credentials to back his claims.

The currently accepted stance is a Modified Isosceles and the currently accepted grip is a thumbs high forward grip. As with anything else shooting related, the best grip and stance for you may vary, but there's a reason these are favored. They've been proven time and again to work effectively at very high levels.

I think it's important to continually strive for improved methods and techniqes in shooting stlyes. "P&S" isn't an improvement on anything though.

Stillhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Score yourself a copy of Guide to Combat Handgunnery by Mas Ayoob, pub by gun digest. He covers the shortcomings of point shooting in alot of detail and with pictures too. He comes down firmly on the side of sighted shooting but also illustrates some examples of situations where point shooting might have a place. I don't know anything myself but I thought it was interesting.

Anaconda40

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As much as I respect the comments of G2G (and at the impending screaming of bloody-murder from the competition crowd), I am a big proponent of Point Shooting. At close ranges, it is quick to learn and very effective.

Not sure about the dude that's been trying to sell some stuff on-line, but we learned it, we taught it and we used it. And it should be used as one level of a graduated aiming continuum based primarily on distance and experience.

It is not the end all technique for all situations. But very applicable in others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As much as I respect the comments of G2G (and at the impending screaming of bloody-murder from the competition crowd), I am a big proponent of Point Shooting. At close ranges, it is quick to learn and very effective.

Not sure about the dude that's been trying to sell some stuff on-line, but we learned it, we taught it and we used it. And it should be used as one level of a graduated aiming continuum based primarily on distance and experience.

It is not the end all technique for all situations. But very applicable in others.

I'm not opposed to what some people call "point shooting" (I call it indexed fire) and I use it in matches anywhere from contact diatance out to 7 yards. But the way I do it looks nothing like this "P&S" hokum that guy pushes.

Bill Jordan was a proponent of point shooting out to about 10 yards, but I contend that he was no regular shooter. I find that if I try to use point shooting to gain speed beyond the range of my capability, or in situations where it's not the best option, I loose valuable points. In a gunfight that would equate to poor hits, or even misses. Not good.

Transitioning from point to sighted shooting is easy and quick if you're properly indexed. The probelm I've seen is that too many shooters fail to recognize the need to transition in that split second. What comes next is staring at targets that while fairly close and easy to hit, don't have any holes where they thought they should.

The best method is to become proficient in sighted fire first. Then feel free to experiment with indexed fire (point shooting). Just don't rely on it or you may get a bad surprise.

Anaconda40

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hear you G2G and think we may be on similar sheets of music. One of the other OSA members explained what dude was trying to push and I am not on board with that. I'm a little unorthodox, but not that far out of the box.

Agree 5-7 yards is usually about max. When I teach new shooters, I do teach Point Shoot first, for a variety of reasons, but then move the training back to sighted aim.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You should learn how to index a handgun from different positions as a matter of practicality. You may not always be afforded a good sight picture or any sight picture in a defensive situation.

Im USPSA if the target is farther than I can touch with the muzzle I look at the sights, it isn't any faster to just stick the gun out there and pray you hit something. On close targets the sight picture can be less perfect, but you should still give them a glance.

Latest posts

Top Bottom