Painted front and rear sights on Ruger 22/45

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20161231_2be8a2337f9ae9d4fab4fa3faa8def81.jpg

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20161231_4ebad5fc5fe3cd9bfb4cdbefa235b4cc.jpg

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20161231_abdc7ceba02982b2af85abf23d8ff782.jpg

Having problems getting the photo to focus sharply on the front sight. But it still gives you an idea.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm using a Dawson .400" tall x .100" wide fiber optic with the stock rear in my 22-45 lite. I'm very happy with it. It is not going to glow like tritium in darkness, but it works well for me in low light. That is going to be subjective to each user however.
uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20161231_983bc77e5fc8e04da059041a77450e04.jpg
Tell me what you think about the 22/45 lite. I am really wanting one of these can you give the low down on the good and bad. If they have feeding issues or ejection issues or issues with suppressors, let me know

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tell me what you think about the 22/45 lite. I am really wanting one of these can you give the low down on the good and bad. If they have feeding issues or ejection issues or issues with suppressors, let me know

Out of the box, mine sucked. My go-to ammo for .22s has always been mini-mags. It was a problem with this gun. The pin comes out if the rear sight. The rail and front sight screws need locktite. I hate the magazine trigger disconnect. It had ejection issues. I threw a bunch of Volquartsen parts at it and I love it now. It works great suppressed. I've shot steel challenge and a bowling pin shoot with it.

I honestly don't know anything better in the class and bought this one knowing I would likely have to make some mods to it.
1) replace the front sight
2) Stake the pin in the rear sight
3) remove the loaded chamber indicator and install a filler plate
4) replace the extractor
5) remove the magazine trigger disconnect and install a bushing in its place.
6) remove the bolt release detent and spring (or replace it with the VQ release
7) de-burr and polish the factory firing pin or replace

That should make it function.
Other enhancements.
VQ sear by itself will really help the feel of the trigger. I installed a complete trigger, hammer, disconnector, and sear package. The trigger in mine is now fantastic!

Disassemble the magazines and polish them. There are several videos on it. I would not recommend modifying the feed lips like some show however.

Extended base pads make engaging the mag much easier. I used the VQ units within the spring ejection feature. A bit overkill with the polishing and disconnect mod, but some insurance.
uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20170101_da00e44de5b8a07e744e026b6440eaaf.jpg

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man that's a ton of mod on a new out of the box gun. How much did those mods cost in total? I'm funny about liking certain guns on first sight. These have a wow factor to me and almost weightless.
You said you shot these in bowling pin costest. Never shot one of those but didn't think the 22 would have enough kick.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man that's a ton of mod on a new out of the box gun. How much did those mods cost in total? I'm funny about liking certain guns on first sight. These have a wow factor to me and almost weightless.
You said you shot these in bowling pin costest. Never shot one of those but didn't think the 22 would have enough kick.

I'm afraid to add it all up. I have way too much in it and don't really want to know. ;)

We were shooting them off the center of a 18" table. It took a precise hit to clear them. I know many places cut the heads of the pins to shoot with .22s.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm afraid to add it all up. I have way too much in it and don't really want to know. ;)

We were shooting them off the center of a 18" table. It took a precise hit to clear them. I know many places cut the heads of the pins to shoot with .22s.
I guess what I'm really asking is, was it worth it? Would you do it again? Are you thrilled about how it runs now?

Latest posts

Top Bottom