Painted front and rear sights on Ruger 22/45

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess what I'm really asking is, was it worth it? Would you do it again? Are you thrilled about how it runs now?

Investing $xxxx in .22 to plink and shoot steel challenge with? I'm not sure I would have done it knowing it up front. But I'm very happy with it now. A friend shot it and wants to build one exactly like it. Would I do it again? Probably. Or try to find one used that someone had done the same or most of the same to it for way less. They show up every once in a while.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have to agree on the mag disconnect being a pain, insert mag pull the trigger then remove the mag to take down. The loss of the ability to slingshot load sucks as well, planning to get the detent replacement at some point. The loaded chamber indicator is an easy fix, just remove it and then replace all the parts minus the little metal plate.

I am running a threaded bull barrel version so that may help to alleviate any other issues that could be coming up in the lite version.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pull the spring and pin from it and gravity will make it work pretty well. The replacement is better, but pulling them works pretty good.
I have heard that but also heard of a few times where a movement at an inopportune time caused the catch to pop up and lock the bolt open for no reason. During a match that would really piss me off. Most of my reloads are after a single string of fire with rounds left in the mag anyway.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Based on a review and pics I saw on rimfirecentral.com, in the MK IV part, I just ordered a Tactical Solutions .445 Green Fiber Optic Front Sight from MidwayUSA.com; it was $27.00 shipped, should be here on Wednesday they say. I like green fiber optics best for indoors; red ones for outside.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Based on a review and pics I saw on rimfirecentral.com, in the MK IV part, I just ordered a Tactical Solutions .445 Green Fiber Optic Front Sight from MidwayUSA.com; it was $27.00 shipped, should be here on Wednesday they say. I like green fiber optics best for indoors; red ones for outside.

Dawsons come with both red and green fiber so you can choose at install and change if desired.

I imagine you can change the TacSol fiber also if needed.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would say that the magazine disconnect delete is almost essential. Its only a $10 part though. That and locktite the front site are the only two "have to" but everything else mentioned are damn sure nice to have. You can bet on those two things and everything else you can do later if you see fit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom