Pecos, TX Run N Gun 2015

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It was a tough run in 114 degree weather. Glad it was only 5 miles, and low humidity. I thought the Pawnee summer 10K was a little harder run... mainly because of the humidity, but also with it being a longer trail. Not much harder though. Long story short, I didn't fare very well. I knew I was going to be slower than most on the rifle stuff, running a bolt gun with 5 round stripper clips, but I was counting on smoking the pistol stuff... yeah, that didn't happen. Both of the 33-round happy sticks I carried for the Glock came out under the low-crawl obstacle on stage 2, and got a bunch of dirt in them. I tried to use one on the first pistol stage, and the gun started stovepiping every round, despite immediately switching to a 19 round mag that didn't go in the dirt. I field stripped it on the way to the next stage and tried to wipe it down the best I could with my neck rag, and only used the clean mag in it... after that it only stovepiped every other round or so. Well, I didn't DQ anything, but my pistol malfs and resulting poor shooting times kept me from taking the bolt gun trophy. I think I'd have had it if I didn't drop those mags in the dirt. Oh well, lesson learned -- caliche sand is a good malfunction inducer, and pistol tacos are good for standard capacity mags but don't hold the 33 rounders very well. I will look for a new carrying method if I use those again. Learning stuff about your gear is why we do Run 'n Gun. Also having to clear malfunctions under stress is good practice!

Latest posts

Top Bottom