Pheasant hunt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
my Dad and Uncle would scream “HEN HEN HEN!!!”
My first pheasant hunt at age 14, no one told me not to shoot hens. One jumped and they shouted "hen, hen", I thought they said "get him, get him" so I pulled the trigger and she hit the dirt. I caught $%&t the rest of the weekend.

V98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve hunted wild pheasant in Kansas, Nebraska and Oklahoma.

I’ve done a dozen “commercial” hunts in Texas and Oklahoma.

I’ve done a European pheasant shoot every year for a decade.

Frankly, I enjoy them all.

I’ve only been on one commercial hunt that was truly awful. It was up around Stillwater. Just never went back.

Pheasant are great eating whether smoked, grilled or fried.

The first time I ever went hunting wild birds in Kansas I couldn’t figure out why they called the ones without tail feathers “henbobs.”

I finally realized they were yelling at me (Bob) so I wouldn’t shoot the hens! I was a Dallas boy and it was all new to me back then! 😂

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Probably killed hundreds of wild pheasants at our farms behind our Brittney's.
It seemed like a never-ending supply of birds until corporations started buying cheap land and bringing dozens of clients to hunt every weekend. The death of pheasants in that area was when the ODW increased the limit from one to three. Then the flood of road hunters and outfitters commenced.
An 18" rain during nesting season that resulted in flood waters never before seen in that area pretty much did them in. I've seen two this year, which is one more than I saw all of last year. If I see one, it won't be shot. I'd like to see them come back.

Latest posts

Top Bottom