Pluging your .22(3) cal mags for Deer Gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Seriously, anybody ever got off more than a couple of shots before the deer got into cover?

I know in my area where there are few trees, they still disappear into tall grass/brush before a lot of follow-up shots can be taken.

I don't spray and pray on them anyway. If the first shot isn't good, it isn't worth wounding one to do a mag dump while they are running.
Not for me anyway.

AMT7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seriously, anybody ever got off more than a couple of shots before the deer got into cover?

I know in my area where there are few trees, they still disappear into tall grass/brush before a lot of follow-up shots can be taken.

I don't spray and pray on them anyway. If the first shot isn't good, it isn't worth wounding one to do a mag dump while they are running.
Not for me anyway.
Thanks for the experience with the GW.

Agreed on the game issue but I am not gonna hunt without a mag on my AR and only 1 round. Just trying to be very practical.

This thread is about a effective, durable, no issues, economical and unquestionably legal fix for Okies with semi auto mag fed hunting weapons having to meet the limit called .22 cal so far is .220- .229 bullet dia .
The 5 rounders are harder to get due to high capacity restrictions, others fixes strangling demand & lack of production caused by several liberal state & localaties. Prices vary from $15.95 to about $19.95 via internet some free but about 60% add shipping. The 10 rounders are much easier to find but scarce locally at the moment but we sourced some tonight for $4.33 each before tax. The mod is stupid easy. Limiting the other 3 will take combined about the same amount of time as 1st one. Was posting to make the solutuons we came up with easier to find for others as its kind of what you have laying around already that works good type fix. Hopefully there might be a rare ocassion the proper plugging/ limiting will prevent a very bad day for someone I hope.
Its also for us about reverseability if the restriction is relaxed. Aluminum rivet is drilled, rotary filed or head filled off easily enough.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did manage to fire 6 shots at 5 deer with a bolt action 7 mag.
Seen the deer emerging I to the field.
Had 1 in the tube and 3 in the mag. Removed 2 cartridges from my pocket, holding them in my right hand.
I had no intention of firing 6 shots, but I did want a quick reload available.
When 5 deer (1 buck and 4 does) were about 50 yards into the field, I shot the buck, which was at the back.
At the shot, he dropped and the does took off. 3 to the center of the field and 1 towards me.
I I dropped the doe coming at me. Turn to the lead doe, who had stopped and looked back. 3 shots, 3 deer.
The 2 behind split, 1 coming at me and 1 going away. I drop the 1 coming at me. Reload and see the last doe get to the trees and stop and look back. 5th shot and I see one of the does, not sure if it #2 or #4 is standing. Shot 6 and 5 legal tags filled in seconds.
I get down from the stand and here a 4 wheeler. Son comes up and says, "where is the war? When did you get a full auto?" Hear another motor and hunting buddy comes up asking, "how did you get 6 ends in that Ruger?"
Deer #2 and #4 were 10' about 40 yards from the stand. #3 was 100 yards out. The buck 150 yards and the last doe was 250. My son and buddy were just standing there say I g they wouldn't believe it if they hadn't seen it.

BTW, I have NEVER fired more than 2 ends any other time.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In Texas, 1 buck tag, 3 doe tags and 1 either sex.

Granted limits are in place to control / sustain game populations, but some of the regs put in place by goobermint is boggling.

A few years back, went to South Dakota deer hunting. Allowed 1 deer per day, either sex. Buy a tag and it was valid from the next sunrise until end of season. To buy another, the system would say you had an open tag and deny. Turn in completed tag and buy another. Talked with residents who filled meat lockers taking 12,15, 20+ deer a year.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In Texas, 1 buck tag, 3 doe tags and 1 either sex.

Granted limits are in place to control / sustain game populations, but some of the regs put in place by goobermint is boggling.

A few years back, went to South Dakota deer hunting. Allowed 1 deer per day, either sex. Buy a tag and it was valid from the next sunrise until end of season. To buy another, the system would say you had an open tag and deny. Turn in completed tag and buy another. Talked with residents who filled meat lockers taking 12,15, 20+ deer a year.

Tx. That explains it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom