Plumbing Help - Toilet Flange

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neotim

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey, I'm redoing the floor in our upstairs bathroom. After pulling the toilet, I found that the flange was completely rusted away. I'm somewhat familiar with PVC plumbing, but I don't know what to do with this problem.

Now, I will put down 1/2" Hardiebacker and then 3/8" tile, so I need to raise the flange anyway. Where do I start?

BTW, I can get under the floor if I have to... it would require cutting a hole in the ceiling in my garage. Here's the pic: toiletflange.jpg

Scott_In_OKC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am NOT a plumber, but there are PVC replacement flanges that fit inside the pipe. That would appear easier than trying to break up the floor on the outside of the pipe. Several Youtube videos show the process in action. YMMV

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can buy a tool (looks like a hole boring bit) for removing any toilet flange. I know Locke supply has them. When you get your old flange out, you can buy a longer one to put back in to make up for the increased distance.

Robert871

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
They make an inside the pipe cutter. Fits into a drill like a drill bit, looks like a long smooth shank with a thin horizontal circular blade on the end. Use that to cut the flange off the pipe just below the flange fitting being sure to leave abou an inch and a halt to glue the new pipe and flange on at the height needed, be sure to get some food long wood screws to secure the top ring of the flange to the floor when you are done. No body likes a rocking toilet. And ofcourse clean up the sides of the pope before applying glue and cleaner.

Locke supply should have this tool.

Last edited:

aking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Locke supply will have a 2 piece replacement ring for your current flange. To accomadate the thickness of your new floor just stack a 2 or 3 wax rings and you may need a long set of bolts. You can buy a flange that glues inside the pipe or a $60.00 bit for your drill that will allow you to cut the old off and put on a new one to raise it if you really want to. The replacement ring will work just fine though. it looks like you don't want to use an inside pipe cutter and cut below the hub of the flange like mentioned above because you won't have enough pipe to glue onto because of the hub on the lower fitting.

Robert871

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
i do not know how much they are at locke, not do i know all the other places you might find them in town, but i am not certain the one i was describing would cost more than $20ish, and it "gets the job done right" as my father would say. my father is in business for him self as a plumber, he specializes in finding broken drain lines under slab floors and repairing them, he also does all the other stuff (except crawlspaces) but for this task if you are handy, save yourself some cash, its something you can handle.

hope it goes well, keep us updated when you get the new floor in.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002YVLJ8...e=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B0002YVLJ8

http://www.thefind.com/hardware/info-inside-pipe-cutter

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Howdy. Push an old t-shirt or rag into the pipe. Make sure you push it far enough down the pipe that it won't get caught on the cutter. Using an inside the pipe cutter, cut the flange off flush with the 3 inch PVC. Remove the old flange. Use a chipping hammer and carefully chip away some the concrete around the pipe. Now that there is room around the outside of the pipe. you can use metal cutting sawzall blade to saw notches in the old fitting. You want between 4 and 6 slots cut into that old fitting. Cut about 3/4 of the way through. Avoid cutting to deep and damaging the 3 inch pipe. After getting the notches cut you will use a hammer and large flathead screwdriver to break off the old fitting. As you move around the pipe use a heat gun or propane torch and gently heat the PVC. This will soften the Pipe, the glue and the coupling/fiting section of the old flange. Use a pair of pliers to pull off the pieces of fitting.

Once you get on the all pieces off the pipe use emery cloth to sand off a majority of the old glue. Then take some primer and go around the pipe. Use the Emory paper again and sand the out side of the pipe. Repeat as necessary. Inspect the pipe to make sure everything looks good. When you go to buy your new flange, get the stainless steel one. Don't skimp, they are only a few bucks more.

aking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Roberts, I to am a plumber and your idea will definitely work most of the time but if you look closely at his pic you can see that there is another fitting directly below the flange. The hub of that fitting will extend 1.5 inches on the outside of the pipe. If he cuts the old flange off there is a large chance that there will not be enough pipe left to glue another fitting onto. I'm not even going to touch the "get the job done right" thing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom