Post filling pain.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK, well you didn't mention if the dentist used a rubber dam or not. You would know, it is a piece of rubber that stretches over your mouth and keeps all the water and crap out of your mouth.

Assuming that s/he didn't.

More than likely, your filling might be a bit "high". Sort of like a set of gear wheels spinning against each other, if one of those cogs is bigger than the others, every time it touches the other wheel it will be a little out of sync. Same thing can happen with your teeth.

You bite differently when you are numb than when you aren't. Differently when you are laying back in the chair than when you are sitting up, and differently in the dental office than in the real world.

First guess: filling is a bit out of sync and needs to be adjusted.
Solution: get it adjusted

It could be just normal post operative discomfort. I have seen some pretty strange referred pain patterns. It is entirely possible for your upper tooth to be hurting, but you feel the pain on your lower tooth. Just like someone having a heart attack feels pain in their arm.

Second guess: normal post filling discomfort.
Solution: some anti-inflammatory medication (advil, motrin) and some time. If not better tomorrow, give the doc a call.

After this, without seeing it, it becomes a situation of "when you are standing in a field in Oklahoma and hear hoof beats behind you, think of horses not zebras."
No reason to chase the zebras until we rule out the first two.

If it makes you feel any better, EVERY single filling that I have ever had done has bothered me for at least a day or two after the procedure. Some folks it isn't a problem, others it can be. Everyone is different in their response.

Dave

R. Johnson

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I appreciate the responses. Was gonna go back to the dentist today if it wasn't better but all the pain has gone away and I'm just left with some residual sensitivity to hot and cold.

ratski said:
OK, well you didn't mention if the dentist used a rubber dam or not. You would know, it is a piece of rubber that stretches over your mouth and keeps all the water and crap out of your mouth.

Assuming that s/he didn't.

More than likely, your filling might be a bit "high". Sort of like a set of gear wheels spinning against each other, if one of those cogs is bigger than the others, every time it touches the other wheel it will be a little out of sync. Same thing can happen with your teeth.

You bite differently when you are numb than when you aren't. Differently when you are laying back in the chair than when you are sitting up, and differently in the dental office than in the real world.

First guess: filling is a bit out of sync and needs to be adjusted.
Solution: get it adjusted

It could be just normal post operative discomfort. I have seen some pretty strange referred pain patterns. It is entirely possible for your upper tooth to be hurting, but you feel the pain on your lower tooth. Just like someone having a heart attack feels pain in their arm.

Second guess: normal post filling discomfort.
Solution: some anti-inflammatory medication (advil, motrin) and some time. If not better tomorrow, give the doc a call.

After this, without seeing it, it becomes a situation of "when you are standing in a field in Oklahoma and hear hoof beats behind you, think of horses not zebras."
No reason to chase the zebras until we rule out the first two.

If it makes you feel any better, EVERY single filling that I have ever had done has bothered me for at least a day or two after the procedure. Some folks it isn't a problem, others it can be. Everyone is different in their response.

Dave

Latest posts

Top Bottom